Can someone tell me what kind of carlon box this is

GLSA

I can't find this type of resi box or know what to call it. The clips broke and I want to see if I can just replace the clips so I don't have to replace the box. I am an electrician I just don't do residential. IMG_5937.jpeg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is an easy job. You won't find clips so get yourself an old work box and pop it in. You can just slip a hack saw blade near the stud side of the box and cut the nails. I usually end up busting up the box with a screwdriver, needlenose or whatever it takes. Be careful not to enlarge the hole

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That is an easy job. You won't find clips so get yourself an old work box and pop it in. You can just slip a hack saw blade near the stud side of the box and cut the nails. I usually end up busting up the box with a screwdriver, needlenose or whatever it takes. Be careful not to enlarge the hole
Oscillating tool with a metal blade, or Sawzall is what I use to cut out nail-on boxes. Sometimes you can use two screwdrivers to pry the nails loose. Just have to be careful to not break the edge of the drywall.

I fully agree, except I would use a smart box (maybe that's what you meant, but the op should know a regular old work box won't grab in that cut out).

GLSA

They don't make that type of box anymore?

GLSA

Well I guess I am hosed. They don't make those receptacle/box anymore and I have 5 or so that I need to replace.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Replace the box, it's the right thing to do. Easy fix. We replace boxes frequently rarely causing any surrounding damage that can't be covered by the face plate.
Like the others mentioned use a smart box or and old work plastic box.

fishin' electrician

3b06f85951c72170a6f32d357231344c2dc7fa3cd5fd7ebb429424c157155a8d.jpeg

kwired

Electron manager
That is along the lines of what I was thinking. Maybe even silicone or latex caulk or even general construction adhesive. But if the kind of thing you don't want to have to wait long for cure then a faster setting epoxy is probably the best answer. Most can be machined so you should be able to drill and tap after it has hardened.