cant find the wire in the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Mind you, this is the same house where the smoke detector will sense steam from a shower but not visible smoke from the kitchen! :D

Is this a common occurrence?

The smoke detector is probably tired of sensing smoke, now it's trying steam...:D

ptrip

Is this a common occurrence?

The smoke detector is probably tired of sensing smoke, now it's trying steam...:D

That's it!! My smoke detector is branching out and trying new things! Guess I should be happy for it instead of complaining! :D

480sparky

That's it!! My smoke detector is branching out and trying new things! Guess I should be happy for it instead of complaining! :D

You shouldn't be happy. This is how all smoke detectors start going bad. First, they try smoke. Then steam. Next thing you know, they're doing household dust, air-borne particulate matter, then petroleum-based fumes. It's downhill from there. It'll join a gang..... start drinking heavily..... get a tattoo.

Next thing you know, your precious smoke detector is calling you from jail, having been arrested for breaking into a pharmacy in order to steal 9-volt batteries.

If you don't stop your little one now, the end of the road willl be a federal charge of trespassing on government property when it tries to steal americium-241 in order to rejuvinate it's sensor. Federal facilities are no place for a Kiddie.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
What do you do to guard against buying a defective unit from an ignorant (in that they don't really know it has a problem) seller? Not just for this unit, but any sophisticated tool or equipment.

That's a good question. I've really only bought two pieces of test equipment from Ebay. My Fluke 1507 megger(it was new in box sealed) and this Amprobe, used. I can't give you the specifics on my auction, it was more than a year ago and I can't recall but some general advice would be to make sure the seller has a very high feedback and ask for some type of guarantee in writing(email) before purchasing. Even if they're not familiar with the product they're selling, there's no excuse for not providing a DOA guarantee.

I also use Paypal with a credit card for the ultimate backup plan in case the seller gets feisty and doesn't deliver a working product as advertised. Being able to dispute a charge for good reason means I'll always win.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
You shouldn't be happy. This is how all smoke detectors start going bad. First, they try smoke. Then steam. Next thing you know, they're doing household dust, air-borne particulate matter, then petroleum-based fumes. It's downhill from there. It'll join a gang..... start drinking heavily..... get a tattoo.

Next thing you know, your precious smoke detector is calling you from jail, having been arrested for breaking into a pharmacy in order to steal 9-volt batteries.

If you don't stop your little one now, the end of the road willl be a federal charge of trespassing on government property when it tries to steal americium-241 in order to rejuvinate it's sensor. Federal facilities are no place for a Kiddie.

Or the other scenario:

It finds a boyfriend and runs off. A few months later there is a knock at your door at 2 am, she finally came home, but the boyfriend ran off, and now she's pregnant with Kiddies....

:D

ptrip

Or the other scenario:

It finds a boyfriend and runs off. A few months later there is a knock at your door at 2 am, she finally came home, but the boyfriend ran off, and now she's pregnant with Kiddies....

:D

:D:D:D

Thanks ... now my coworkers know for sure I'm taking a break!!

Status
Not open for further replies.