Capacitor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eHunter

(You and I know that 2 like sized caps in series simply half the capacitance of 1, but I am not sure that the OP understands or knows this tidbit.) Yes the OP does know this. And all the OP realy wanted was a interpretation of the name plate. But thank you for the rest of the info.

You are welcome.
How did that job turn out?

CIECO

Well all 11 banks with 2 caps each are shot. This AutoAvr is 1 ? years old so I went back to the manufacturer with a warranty claim and they asked me for all the information I had on the plant. After sending them everything that I originally sent their applications engineer they determined that the caps could not handle this non linear load but would replace them free of charge. I was also given the option to upgrade to a cap that will handle the job for a nominal charge. So now I am stuck paying for caps because they were not engineered properly by the manufacturer in the first place. Figure that out!! But in order to keep the customer (who is paying a $1,000 a month pf penalty) happy I ordered the new caps. I will install them free of charge and then fight it later.

eHunter

Well all 11 banks with 2 caps each are shot. This AutoAvr is 1 ? years old so I went back to the manufacturer with a warranty claim and they asked me for all the information I had on the plant. After sending them everything that I originally sent their applications engineer they determined that the caps could not handle this non linear load but would replace them free of charge. I was also given the option to upgrade to a cap that will handle the job for a nominal charge. So now I am stuck paying for caps because they were not engineered properly by the manufacturer in the first place. Figure that out!! But in order to keep the customer (who is paying a $1,000 a month pf penalty) happy I ordered the new caps. I will install them free of charge and then fight it later.

Dang, I feel for you. Seems like sometimes you just can't win.
Just as a note, Eaton's own propaganda states that the 2543PHRMA is a "Harmonic Rated Capacitor Cell" on page 36 of their publication.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@electrical/documents/content/vol03_tab02.pdf

CIECO

Yea I read that, but the best bet is to keep my mouth shut buy the 33 caps ( add 1 to each bank ) at $85 each spend 2 days installing them. Then go after them. You win some you loose some what are you going to do, so far for the last 30+ years I have come out ahead.

CIECO

Finely got the caps EATON 16S43PHRMBS if you read the specs they look the same as the old ones, I don?t know what the difference is but the power factor is .90 so every thing looks good

Status
Not open for further replies.