Cardboard Cover On Electrical Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently visited a construction site where the contractor had removed the bolted metal cover for an existing, live 120/208V panel and replaced it with a cardboard cover that he had bolted in place. I really can't find anything in the NFPA70 or 70E which states that this is a violation of code, but it just doesn't seem right to me since cardboard doesn't provide the rigid protection that a metal cover can.

Anyone know of a place in the code that forbids such a setup?

marti smith

We often do this before the painters mud the walls for texturing and then replace the cover for just a paint coat (so that it matches the walls and is not such an eyesore). My thought/hope is that this is what you witnessed, not a permanent installation.

zog

You can look at 70E definition of "Guarded", but what is "Suitable".

For arc flash concerns, metal, cardboard, or nothing is all considered the same. For shock protection, cardboard would be suitable for temp LV system IMHO, but I could see an arguement against that too.

Funny thing is that they removed the cover so that they could knockout a hole for temporary power, but then rather than just put the cover back on, they installed a cardboard cover using the screws from the original cover to hold it on. I failed to understand why they didn't just put the original cover back on.

iwire

Staff member
Not sure they need to be either.

I did not say that they had to be.

However, 110.3(B) requires us to use the panelboard as the listing and labeling indicates, if you know of a panelboard with instructions that include the use of non-factory covers I sure would like to see them.

zog

I did not say that they had to be.
I did not say you said they had to be :)

However, 110.3(B) requires us to use the panelboard as the listing and labeling indicates, if you know of a panelboard with instructions that include the use of non-factory covers I sure would like to see them.

Hey, I am not the one who said there were listed tempoary covers, maybe a link those would clear some stuff up. (You grouchy today?)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I recently visited a construction site where the contractor had removed the bolted metal cover for an existing, live 120/208V panel and replaced it with a cardboard cover that he had bolted in place. I really can't find anything in the NFPA70 or 70E which states that this is a violation of code, but it just doesn't seem right to me since cardboard doesn't provide the rigid protection that a metal cover can.

Anyone know of a place in the code that forbids such a setup?

Good grief.:roll:

Everyone I know including myself uses cardboard as a temporary panel cover during construction. We leave the dead front on behind it.

Last edited:

wtucker

OSHA's position will be that if it's not listed, it's not acceptable. (I got that from one of the guys who wrote
NFPA 70E, a master electrician who now works for OSHA Region I.) Cardboard paint shields are not listed for energized electrical equipment.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
and this is why panels should not be energized before the project is complete.

I also agree that we have probably all used a cardboard cut out so that we don't get paint in the panel.

btharmy

"and this is why panels should not be energized before the project is complete. "

I'd say that's a little un-realistic to say the least. How do you know if anything works? No elevators, no hvac, no fire alarm or security alarms, customer computer servers and network equipment, etc, etc...............

mivey

"and this is why panels should not be energized before the project is complete. "

I'd say that's a little un-realistic to say the least. How do you know if anything works? No elevators, no hvac, no fire alarm or security alarms, customer computer servers and network equipment, etc, etc...............
Maybe qualify that to say unattended open panels should not be energized. Energized panels with a cardboard cover is asking for trouble and/or fines. What about sticky film on the cover to keep the paint off (like they use to protect carpet)?

zog

Well look what came across my desk this morning.

Imperial Aluminum facility in Scottsboro, Ala., cited by US Labor
Department's OSHA for 20 safety violations carrying $76,500 in penalties

SCOTTSBORO, Ala. – The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Imperial Aluminum's Scottsboro smelting plant for 20 safety violations following an October 2010 inspection. Proposed penalties total $76,500.

OSHA cited 17 serious safety violations, including failing to use lockout/tagout procedures of energy sources, guard open-sided floors and platforms, provide standard railings for fixed stairways, mark doorways or passages along an exit route, ensure fire extinguishers were readily available, provide machine guarding, remove a front end loader from service when repairs were needed, perform periodic inspections of crane hoists, keep aisles clear and free from debris, protect electrical conductors from abrasions, ensure unused openings in electrical panels were effectively closed and provide covers for junction boxes. A serious citation is issued when there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known.

The company also was cited for three other-than-serious violations: failing to complete OSHA 300 logs, certify a personal protective equipment hazard assessment and document the inspection of lockout/tagout procedures. An other-than-serious violation is one that has a direct relationship to job safety and health, but probably would not cause death or serious physical harm.

"This company put its workers' safety at risk by exposing them to a variety of hazardous working conditions," said Roberto Sanchez, OSHA's area director in Birmingham. "OSHA's safety standards must be followed to avoid injuries and fatalities."

Imperial Aluminum, which is based in Chicago, has 15 business days from receipt of the citations and proposed penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA's area director in Birmingham or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission. The site was inspected by staff from OSHA's Birmingham Area Office located at 950 N. 22 St., Suite 1050, Birmingham, AL 35203; telephone 205-731-1534. To report workplace incidents, fatalities or situations posing imminent danger to workers, call the agency's toll-free hotline at 800-321-OSHA (6742).

renosteinke

Zog, I think that's a pretty weak pillar to lean on. Unused openings? I've never considered an panel opening to be 'unused' - whether covered by steel or paper. Nor was the issue of 'temporary' vs. 'ordinary' use addressed.

These factors go to the heart of the discussion.

mivey

Zog, I think that's a pretty weak pillar to lean on. Unused openings? I've never considered an panel opening to be 'unused' - whether covered by steel or paper. Nor was the issue of 'temporary' vs. 'ordinary' use addressed.

These factors go to the heart of the discussion.
Seems to me if they were concerned about an open hole in the panel cover they would certainly be concerned about the whole cover being left off.

Status
Not open for further replies.