Case fan for VFD in enclosure ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
A lot drives will already have a fan that moves air over the heat sink..

This one has a pair of fans over the heatsink.

I'd really like to set two fans in a push/pull configuration. But maybe two fans at the bottom pulling air in and letting it vent from the top would work better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This one has a pair of fans over the heatsink.

I'd really like to set two fans in a push/pull configuration. But maybe two fans at the bottom pulling air in and letting it vent from the top would work better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it already has fans on the heat sink it might not help much to add more fans inside the enclosure.

being outside creates a whole series of problems as far as externally cooling the thing.

does the customer have chilled water available?

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
No. This is a pump for nursery irrigation; the well is about 500 yards from any building. The VFD is mounted on a pole with a meter next to the well.

Can you run a little of the well water through a cooler? It may be something home made, a block of aluminum bonded to the outside of the cabinet. There may be products available. I don't know.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can you run a little of the well water through a cooler? It may be something home made, a block of aluminum bonded to the outside of the cabinet. There may be products available. I don't know.

there are such products available. since you have well water which is likely to be cool it seems like a good idea.

here is just one such beast.

http://www.pelmareng.com/noren_air_to_water_coolers/

Status
Not open for further replies.