Ceiling Fan Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank_n

I just cut a hole to put in a Westinghouse old work ceiling fan box. The space between the joists is just under 14". The Westinghouse bars can be collapsed to 14". The box just misses. Does anyone know of another brand of "old work" boxes where the bars could be collapsed to 13.5" inches? Can any of the bars be cut, then re-assembled?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank

mdshunk

I don't use the old work one's with "bars". I use the grey plastic Westinghouse box that is like a saddle box, but goes on one side of the joist. Great for old work, and for non-standard dimensional lumber.

A2494.jpg

frank_n

mdshunk said:
I don't use the old work one's with "bars". I use the grey plastic Westinghouse box that is like a saddle box, but goes on one side of the joist. Great for old work, and for non-standard dimensional lumber.

A2494.jpg

I like to put the fan exactly in the middle of the room. There wasn't a joist in the middle of the room. Besides, the hole is cut already.

Frank

mdshunk

frank_n said:
I like to put the fan exactly in the middle of the room. There wasn't a joist in the middle of the room. Besides, the hole is cut already.
I understand.

Too bad the hole is already cut. I don't think that most people will notice if their fan is 6" off center to the left or right in most rooms.

frank_n

electricmanscott said:
Not sure which bar you have but I have cut them before. Is this an option?

I have never tried to cut a bar before. Are the bars made to be cut (will I void the listing)?

Frank

mdshunk

frank_n said:
Are the bars made to be cut (will I void the listing)?
Of course they aren't, and of course you will. However, in your situation, I sure would try. You basically don't have a choice at this point.

JES2727

frank_n said:
I have never tried to cut a bar before. Are the bars made to be cut (will I void the listing)?

Frank

Frank,
I have cut them before, with a hacksaw. Take it all apart, cut the bar and the screw part, put it all back together. It's a pain in the neck, but easier than patching and painting if you cut a new hole.

mdshunk

JES2727 said:
Frank,
I have cut them before, with a hacksaw. Take it all apart, cut the bar and the screw part, put it all back together. It's a pain in the neck, but easier than patching and painting if you cut a new hole.
If the Westinghouse one's are anything like the Reiker one's, you can just take the threaded "caps" out of the end of the tube part, and cut the tube shorter. Then, replace the cap ends.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree cut the bars. If anything the unit is stronger spanning a shorter distance. I can't believe anyone would worry about the listing in that application. Geez......

Status
Not open for further replies.