Charging for estimates is not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

That's the cat's meow way of starting a business......you jealous?

It's called having an advantage and using it effectively.

I don't think you got it, they would of failed anyway, what their wifes, din't know, was they never worked of worked very little when they were sober, most of their time was spent in some pub, so even with a hand up and money, you can fail if you don't pay attention to business.

Ohmy

Its true that even the cheapest people want value. This is why there are soo many choices in life. Even at K-mart, there is a hundred types of everything. If people really only wanted the cheapest wouldn't there be only one of each item on the self? Why have ten different types of ice cream? Why not just the cheapest? The same goes for electricians...if people really wanted the cheapest they would find him. What they want is value. Its is our job to show it too them. How much you charge (and whether you can get an estimate fee) is based on the value you show. Show little value = get paid little.

vinchenzo

Option 2

Option 2

If fairness is a concern, how about just claiming the cost of each fruitless estimate as a loss on your taxes?

vinchenzo

Sure it can. When you write out a proposal - that is the documentation. Just save it and keep it with your records in case you get audited. That's proof enough that you have time invested that you didn't get payed for.

vinchenzo

You're absolutely right. I'm not going to deny that. However, if you are running an honest business who's books are clearly in order with thorough documentation you will have nothing to worry about. On the other hand, if you do things 'shady' and your books are chaotic and your documentation has more holes in it than politician - yeah, you might have a problem.

Try sending out your proposals with a postage paid return envelope. On the proposal reserve a place for the customer to accept or decline. This kind of documentation with the customers name, address and phone number on it is plenty of proof that you had billable hours that went uncollected. You don't have to prove they're legit...the IRS has to prove they are not.

You should find that most of the customers will return that proposal; even if they decline. For the small amount that don't; I doubt it will break you.

If you are nervous then you should call your local IRS representitive and explain that you want to claim billable hours as a loss and ask them what they require to do so. Don't be afraid of them. Believe it or not they are there to help you. Besides, they'll appreciate your honesty. Have faith and good luck!

Mr. Wizard

Not really. Anyone could then just write up a bunch of fake proposals.

Steelersman is right. And I say that just because someone recognizes a bad business practice when they see it does not mean that they practice bad business. I could speak at length about clever ways to fraud someone, only because 1) It's happened to me, 2) I've heard talk of ways to fraud someone, 3) Some old bosses tried to do it, and were caught. I have no desire to do anything that would result in a fine, business shutdown, or worse - jail time. A person can be aware of the ways of a criminal without being a criminal. There is no crime in knowledge

steelersman

Steelersman is right. And I say that just because someone recognizes a bad business practice when they see it does not mean that they practice bad business. I could speak at length about clever ways to fraud someone, only because 1) It's happened to me, 2) I've heard talk of ways to fraud someone, 3) Some old bosses tried to do it, and were caught. I have no desire to do anything that would result in a fine, business shutdown, or worse - jail time. A person can be aware of the ways of a criminal without being a criminal. There is no crime in knowledge
Hey thanks Mr. Wizard. I'm glad to see someone come to my defense. The jerk who made the wimpy assumption still hasn't responded.

Rewire

Hey thanks Mr. Wizard. I'm glad to see someone come to my defense. The jerk who made the wimpy assumption still hasn't responded.

The one thing I enjoy about this forum is that we seldom see things break down to personal attacks on someone,sometimes someone feels the need to go personal most of the time they see the error of their ways and appologize either in the forum or by PM,hopefully this will happen if not you appear to have big shoulders and will probably be able to let it go.

steelersman

The one thing I enjoy about this forum is that we seldom see things break down to personal attacks on someone,sometimes someone feels the need to go personal most of the time they see the error of their ways and appologize either in the forum or by PM,hopefully this will happen if not you appear to have big shoulders and will probably be able to let it go.
yeah the guy's just a weasel anyhow.

vinchenzo

I just got back from a quick cat nap and had to take a double-take at the screen. At first I thought you were talking about me and in my half awake stupor couldn't figure out how I had offended anyone.

I see now that you were referring to someone elses entry. Surely no harm was meant. More than likely it was a joke of rather poor taste instead of a personal jab at you. I have to believe we are all above that kind of nonsense.

aline

care to elaborate?
I think he's suggesting that you would do this and that your ethics are poor. :)

Even though you said someone could do this and didn't mention anything about you doing it.

You probably send out a bunch of fake invoices to random business hoping some of them will pay it too.
Come on you can tell us.
We'll keep it our little secret.
It'll stay within the forum. :)

Last edited:

steelersman

I think he's suggesting that you would do this and that your ethics are poor. :)

I think he's trying to sound intelligent. :)

Even though you said someone could do this and didn't mention anything about you doing it.

Yeah I guess in his world you're guilty by thought not actions. :)

You probably send out a bunch of fake invoices to random business hoping some of them will pay it too.

Now there's a good idea? So you are automatically guilty of thinking of this without ever doing it in Weasel's World! :)

steelersman

Interesting assumption. It tells more about you than the subject.
I personally wouldn't see the need to try to write off my declined proposals. Maybe it's just because I'm not an actual contractor with a ton of these declined proposals. Or maybe it's just that I don't feel that it should be allowed to be written off and that it's just a part of trying to do business.

Status
Not open for further replies.