Check Before You Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl H

This comment is also rather amusing coming from a guy who lives in San Diego which just happens to share a border with Mexico. Because we all know there is no hack wiring done in California that looks like Mexican wiring. ;) :D

I'm the first to admit, San Diego is "Third World Hack Central."
But, at least someone (POCO De Loco) makes the hacks protect the conductors in a RMC riser. Or at least discusses it over a California
burrito at the Taco shop the hacks cousin owns. :grin:

At least once a day, if I'm in field, I ask myself, "Isn't any
one manufacturing Electricians anymore?" :grin:

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
So, are any of you east coast guys questioning the wisdom of SE stapled to the side of a house yet? :)
Do you have a suggestion as to how to stay in business if it cost me twice as much to build a service entry then it costs the competition to build the same entry?
--
Tom Horne

powerslave

I just upgraded a home to 200-amps. The POCO requires a 3" RMC service mast to support the overhead line. I made it as pretty as I could but it still looks like it belongs on the side of a factory.:grin:

But then, that's Chicago for you.....................

iwire

Staff member
Masts are pretty rare around here but when I have to install one I will use RMC. SE masts are tough to keep straight. :grin:

iwire

Staff member
Same here. POCO requirement and nobody runs it on the outside of the house unless they are being cheap.

For me it has nothing at all to do with price, I just think RMC on a dwelling unit is ugly.:)

To each their own, but I can't help but think service entrance cable was designed to be used for service entrances.:grin:

peter d

This type of thing is extremely rare when you consider that there are millions of service cable installations across the eastern half of the U.S. I liken this incident to airline travel - normally very safe but when something goes wrong it has catastrophic results. Regardless, I won't stop using SE cable for a rare occurance like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.