Circuit Tracers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

100115-2157 EST

Put an oscillating 12 A load on a circuit (1500 W heater). Measure the voltage drop across breakers. The one oscillating in synchronization with the load oscillation is the breaker for that circuit. Probably can use this changing load to determine the other outlets on the same circuit.

Yeah, that's me & my wife:
[yelling through house] "Ok, turn it on... Now turn it off... On... Off..." :grin:

gar

Occupation
EE
100116-0917 EST

mivey:

You can make a nice oscillating load with an NE555 and a SSR or KUP mechanical relay to switch the load. Use a CMOS 555 and the capacitor can probably be in the 1 mfd range, but there is less drive from the CMOS vs standard 555. On the other a 10 mfd tantalum is quite small.

mivey

100116-0917 EST

mivey:

You can make a nice oscillating load with an NE555 and a SSR or KUP mechanical relay to switch the load. Use a CMOS 555 and the capacitor can probably be in the 1 mfd range, but there is less drive from the CMOS vs standard 555. On the other a 10 mfd tantalum is quite small.

But that is no way to discourage her from shanghaiing me. She has to get her hands dirty too.

mivey

I've used it worked great!
I did check the first few circuits, both above and below a circuit just for a mental check, then just walked around labeling, like I knew what I was doing. :grin:
Does it come with 42 clamps or two like in the photo?

jeremysterling

Yeah, untangling and plugging in all 42 clamp's leads is a chore. You do not have to use all the leads, though.

The mapper I used, someone used a marker book of numbers and tie-wraps to bundle and number the leads in groups of three (1,3,5...7,9,11...etc.) This takes awhile, but the reward is, as cadpoint writes, walking around labeling receps like a pro. No yelling, no radios, no hassle.

mivey

Yeah, untangling and plugging in all 42 clamp's leads is a chore. You do not have to use all the leads, though.

The mapper I used, someone used a marker book of numbers and tie-wraps to bundle and number the leads in groups of three (1,3,5...7,9,11...etc.) This takes awhile, but the reward is, as cadpoint writes, walking around labeling receps like a pro. No yelling, no radios, no hassle.
What about one of those foam cases where you could cut a slot for each clamp?

dmagyar

Greenlee 2011

Greenlee 2011

I bought one of these units for around $600 for tracing dead circuits. It works OK but I'm not that impressed with it for the money. On one job I was trying to trace some buried UF under 3" of dirt, complements of the landscaper/wiring expert whom the homeowner had run some 120 volt lighting around the yard. I gave up, turned off the power and used a toner and tracer for phone lines, it worked great. For everyday tracing live circuits I use an Ideal 61-534. That one was about $80 and I made up a female cord body with alligator clips to hook on-to wires off switches. Those tasco models with all the clips seem like it would be the way to go to minimize that amount of time ringing out a panel, the only thing that would stop me is the cost. It would be hard to add to the job cost and like many tools may end up in the bottom of the meter tool bag after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.