Code question PRE 1990 code re: kitchen outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Not seeing the entire code to me it seems tha if there is a counter space it must have an outlet. Just becuase there was no back splash so what.

What I don't get is why the outlet needs to be placed on the end and not under the overhang of the counter today. I feel that it is more likely that someone walking past the counter could pull on the cord and have something dangerous result.

That's why they removed the requirement to have one every 4', it was causing more accidents than it was preventing.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
That's why they removed the requirement to have one every 4', it was causing more accidents than it was preventing.
I'm not sure I understand your point.

as far as mine, If you have a overhang over 6 inches you cannot place an outlet below the counter top. So the way most builders design the kitchen the only place on a island is at the end or the front face.

hurk27

Back in 1969 UL changed requirement to limit kitchen small appliances to only 2' cords, this was in part to the many small children pulling the hot and heavy appliances off the counter and badly injuring them and some even resulting in death, of course this brought many lawsuits, and as such requirements were changed to limit this problem.
In 1996 the NEC was changed to allow receptacles under the counter top "by special permission" that seem to undo the 1969 change to stop these injury's, we did for a long time, and in some areas still do not install them where the home owner has small children, and when we ask an inspector for it in writing when he insist on a receptacle many back off when they realize this requirement could put them into a liability loop, I used to always require a written request by a home owner who insist on a receptacle below the counter, it seems this problem has been long forgotten.

I keep a printed copy of this article from here:
http://www.codecheck.com/cc/schwan.htm
on my truck.

A very good read and print it, so you can show these HI's that there can be other reasons for not having a receptacle at an island or peninsular.

I know I have posted about this before, but I think it was before the 2003 forum change and those archives were lost.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Thanks for the link.

In 69 I was still in middle school. That was way before my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.