Code Questions that I need help on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help me out with any of these questions that were on the massachusetts electrical code test. This is all of the hard ones that I can not find any answers too. Thank you.
I'll Help ya...
1. A ceiling fan that weighs 45 pounds shall be supported how?
From the ceiling with strong screws

2. A meter disconnect is a disconnect that my be required by the ?
NEC

3. How is current affected if voltage is doubled and the resistance is halved?
Is it the halves or Halve nots?

4. A lamp that has a filament and is enclosed in a glass bulb in a partial vacuum is called?
Trick question.. Some call it a bulb some call it a lamp

5. A grease pit at a service station that is un-vaporized is classed at what hazard location?
Slippery hazard

6. What size wire do you need to use when using 2 locknuts on ridged metal conduit?
What ever you have the most of on the truck

7. Transformer windings are built on what?
Built on the design specifications

8. The peak value of a sine wave is 141.44 volts. What is the RMS value?
Multiply by 1.732

9. What is the smallest motor size that you can use with out using any deductions?
You dont deduct motors if your adding them to a job

10. How do you connect a meter to measure voltage drop?
to the hot wires

11. Which type of raceway is made of PVC and is color coded according to the application?
Trick question again...PVC!

12. A time delay switch is energized and 10 seconds pass before the contacts became energized this is a ______.
10 second delay switch...Tricky huh?

13. A hand bender will be used to bend a 90* stub-up in a piece of ?? IMC What is the deduct?
If this is really a MA test, then it would be a "Benda"

14. A DC power supply converts AC voltage to DC voltage using?
An A/C to D/C converter (Convata in MA)

15. The minimum switch configuration for controlling a bell from one location is a ______?
Door Bell...Ding dong

16. What is the total capacitance of a circuit of 4 capacitors rated at 10 microfarads each wired in parallel with on another?
How many times will you wire up multiple capacitors?

17. When using a 20 amp circuit breaker the receptacle should be good for how many amps?
Good for as long as your warranty

18. When a maintenance person is going underground the cables shall be? Color coded, enclosed, 2? apart from one another ?
Sucks being in maintenance......

19. A circuit where all components are connected in tandem is called?
Tandem Circuit

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
77401 said:
18. When a maintenance person is going underground the cables shall be? Color coded, enclosed, 2? apart from one another ?
I was going to say securely fastened - Fall injuries can be deadly. :D

dlhoule

77401 said:
Can anyone help me out with any of these questions that were on the massachusetts electrical code test. This is all of the hard ones that I can not find any answers too. Thank you.
I'll Help ya...
1. A ceiling fan that weighs 45 pounds shall be supported how?
From the ceiling with strong screws

2. A meter disconnect is a disconnect that my be required by the ?
NEC

3. How is current affected if voltage is doubled and the resistance is halved?
Is it the halves or Halve nots?

4. A lamp that has a filament and is enclosed in a glass bulb in a partial vacuum is called?
Trick question.. Some call it a bulb some call it a lamp

5. A grease pit at a service station that is un-vaporized is classed at what hazard location?
Slippery hazard

6. What size wire do you need to use when using 2 locknuts on ridged metal conduit?
What ever you have the most of on the truck

7. Transformer windings are built on what?
Built on the design specifications

8. The peak value of a sine wave is 141.44 volts. What is the RMS value?
Multiply by 1.732

9. What is the smallest motor size that you can use with out using any deductions?
You dont deduct motors if your adding them to a job

10. How do you connect a meter to measure voltage drop?
to the hot wires

11. Which type of raceway is made of PVC and is color coded according to the application?
Trick question again...PVC!

12. A time delay switch is energized and 10 seconds pass before the contacts became energized this is a ______.
10 second delay switch...Tricky huh?

13. A hand bender will be used to bend a 90* stub-up in a piece of ?? IMC What is the deduct?
If this is really a MA test, then it would be a "Benda"

14. A DC power supply converts AC voltage to DC voltage using?
An A/C to D/C converter (Convata in MA)

15. The minimum switch configuration for controlling a bell from one location is a ______?
Door Bell...Ding dong

16. What is the total capacitance of a circuit of 4 capacitors rated at 10 microfarads each wired in parallel with on another?
How many times will you wire up multiple capacitors?

17. When using a 20 amp circuit breaker the receptacle should be good for how many amps?
Good for as long as your warranty

19. A circuit where all components are connected in tandem is called?
Tandem Circuit
There you go again George. Some of those are just your opinions.

I believe in 13 it should be bendaar.

dlhoule

tomP said:
As they said on an old game show "good answer". Sure don't look much like a code test to me.

Tom from Michigan

I am lost, thats why I'm in Michigan........

Congrats on your 1st post. I don't quite get your signature. If you are lost and in Michigan, you are one lucky SOB. What a great place to be lost.:p

Mad Max

commercial or residential setting

commercial or residential setting

I did install a 100 amp subpanel in a pole barn used by maintenance personnell
and install 8 outlets on the walls. I did not install a gfci because i knew that it is not considered residential only because it is in a residential apartment property and only used by maintenance personnell. The NEC does not say anywhere that i can find that gfci's are needed. I know that it would not hurt to install a gfci anyway but the point is that the inspector is enforcing the code.... but where is in the code? he failed me, so is he right or wrong?
A little help will be appreciated. Please use code reference.
Thank you.
Mad Max

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Mad Max: You are asking a question that is not related to the topic of this thread. It is also not related to the topic of exam questions.

Let me suggest that you start a new thread in the area of NEC issues. You are more likely to get valuable information and opinions, if your question is not buried in an unrelated discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.