Code Violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
What are some codes you've violated in your career? It could be for many reasons:

1) Didn't know any better

2) Your boss made you do it that way so you had to do it

3) You were in a pinch and had to get it done even if it meant violating code

4) Etc

Last edited:

guschash

Didn't know better, when I hurry, mostly didn't know. But I try everyday to do better, take my time , do it right.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Many years ago I installed a circuit for a dryer in my sisters house. Used 10-2wg NM. At the time it seemed OK. As far as I know its still there.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Years (about 18) ago I installed all three legs of 277/480 Wye in the same switch box without a divider. i didn't know it was wrong. A few months later I was casually reading the code as I was wont to do, and came across 404.8 (B) I could walk up to that switch box today and point it out.

Other than that, back then, no one worried about the number of current carrying conductors in a box.

Definitely have used an unlisted breaker in a panel.

Improper securing of conduit or MC where an inspector wasn't looking. Oh wait that wasn't me, it was some other guy.

Oh yeah, used a ceiling wire not dedicated to the electrical.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
When I first started working for my boss, a GC, and didn't know any better and did what I was told most violations revolved around grounding.

* Not grounding switches

* No pressure connector on grounds in receptacle box

* Not grounding metal boxes

Since then I started studying and learning and striving for good installs. I've still had a few Minor box fill violations, cables not secured perfectly to code standards, cables closer than 1 1/4" from stud face, etc. Nothing I would consider too major.

** on a side note, several weeks ago my boss relieved me of electrical duties because I was taking too long, being too OCD about my work and costing him money so he said he will do the electrical work or sub it out.

So I'm using my "time off" to study and learn without the pressure of having to find the balance between doing it how my boss wants it done and doing it to my standards.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
We had some FMC to run in a store from the ceiling to the refrigeration units. The design of the store had 12" diameter chases to hide the cables and ref. pipes. The chases were about 10' tall. There was no way to support/secure the flex inside the tubes. So we made up one of the dozens of units we had to do and called the inspector. He looked at the layout and asked me if I thought compliance was even possible. I told him if I would have thought of a way, I wouldn't have called him. He gave us his blessing and told us just to do as good as we could above the units.

As for not using the same brand breakers, I have a burnt up one I show people. A 2 pole that could have been a real hazard.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
We all have done installation that have not been up to code but they were not dangerous either.

I am guilty of the following:

• used self tap sheet metal screws for bonding 12AWG to 4s box.
  • Supporting a conduit from another
  • Box fill and conduit fill violations knowing the existing circuits do not have full load
  • using drywall screws to mount residential load centers

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I don't make a habit of it. I won't cut tabs on the buss bar (I've found existing:thumbsdown:). I won't alter the circuit breakers molded casing (I've found existing:thumbsdown:).

When I was a second year apprentice, my foreman wanted me to break out tabs in a hot panel serving a court house so the breakers he had would fit.

I refused.

So the foreman decided to do it, using my tools, which was a hammer and a big screwdriver. About the second whack a big ball of fire appeared followed by total darkness. He managed to trip the main breaker, putting the entire court house in the dark during working hours.

My screwdriver was totaled.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
did he replace your defective screwdriver that caused the outage?

Nope. In fact, he did so many things wrong I decided to do some checking on him and found out he did not have a license, just a union card. A license is required in our state. At least one licensed journeyman per site. So I called the hall and told them about it. They sent out a real journeyman. A couple weeks later the foreman I did the checking on fired me and I ended up in front of the apprenticeship board for my 'wrongdoings'.

I got about half of my story out (I had very detailed notes) and 'won' the inquisition and was sent to a decent job with a great foreman.

I don't know what become of my screwdriver. I think I made a chisel out of it and lost it along the way.

Box fill violations, of course.
Also, conduit (and fitting) fill: Many, many a time did I run four 6 AWG wires (or three #6 and a #10 EGC) through a standard-size 3/4" LB. Done similar things with other size wires and LB's.

Reasons: they told me to do it :)
Or the practical need.

Status
Not open for further replies.