Color Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are wiring a building with 120V/208V on the premises, and only 120V/208V no other voltage is present on site. We pulled a yellow #12 THHN wire to feed a circuit and the inspector wants us to tear it out and replace it with a black, red, or blue wire. He is telling us that it is a code violation. We asked him if we can just tape it and he said you can only do that for #6 and larger. I can't find that in the code book, the only thing I can find is color coding for the grounded and grounding conductors. Are we in the wrong in the eyes of the NEC or just industry standards.

In times like these, if you have some yellow wire laying around, you pull it in before you buy 500' of black wire right?

raider1

Staff member
There is no color code for phasing ungrounded conductors in the NEC. (Outside of a high leg)

Using yellow in the situation you did is perfectly fine.

Also the inspector is wrong in regards to phase taping ungrounded conductors, there is no prohibition to phase taping ungrounded conductors smaller than #6.

Ask the inspector to cite a code reference.

Chris

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
We are wiring a building with 120V/208V on the premises, and only 120V/208V no other voltage is present on site. We pulled a yellow #12 THHN wire to feed a circuit and the inspector wants us to tear it out and replace it with a black, red, or blue wire. He is telling us that it is a code violation. We asked him if we can just tape it and he said you can only do that for #6 and larger. I can't find that in the code book, the only thing I can find is color coding for the grounded and grounding conductors. Are we in the wrong in the eyes of the NEC or just industry standards.

In times like these, if you have some yellow wire laying around, you pull it in before you buy 500' of black wire right?

You are not wrong. The inspector is.
The only reference to color coding in the NEC will be the grounded conductor, the grounding conductor and the ungrounded high leg.
There is nothing in the code otherwise governing color coding.
And you can just tape it black, red, brown, purple, pink or any other color other than green or white.
Ask him to educate you with a code reference.

jwjrw

I was taught any hot color would work but to try to conform to industry standards. Black,red blue,yellow brown orange etc. I agree another case of the confused inspector.

jwjrw

There is no color code for phasing ungrounded conductors in the NEC. (Outside of a high leg)

Also the inspector is wrong in regards to phase taping ungrounded conductors, there is no prohibition to phase taping ungrounded conductors smaller than #6.

Chris

Exactly you are not reidentifying a wire just phasing it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
might I add.... unless you have more than one voltage system serving the premises.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I was aware... and as with many things, perhaps I should have left well enough alone, but, since raider1's words rightfully teach many, I didn't want someone to take that statement out of context.

I support the fact that in the OP's situation, coor coding is not necessary.

jwjrw

I was aware... and as with many things, perhaps I should have left well enough alone, but, since raider1's words rightfully teach many, I didn't want someone to take that statement out of context.

Question I have seen alot of 3phase 120/208 services not have the phases marked. What art requires this marking or is it only required when different voltages are present?

raider1

Staff member
might I add.... unless you have more than one voltage system serving the premises.

Yes, if you have more than 1 voltage system each system must be identified by system and phase.

But there is still not NEC required color code. You can identify these systems any way that you would like as long as the identification is posted at each panel.

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

You are legal but i would not do it unless that was a truck solution. Problem is you just locked this building into 1 voltage. Down the road they might need 480. As to tape you are not changing it from grounded to ungrounded or grounding so is legal.

jumper

I understand, I was teasing you. As long as you are teaching, aren't there two other times, besides marking the high leg, which you have to use a certain color for an ungrounded conductor? Yellow and blue? Art 500 and 700 maybe?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Yes, if you have more than 1 voltage system each system must be identified by system and phase.

But there is still not NEC required color code. You can identify these systems any way that you would like as long as the identification is posted at each panel.

Chris

That's it! From now on if someone asks me a question, I'm gonna just tell them to call Chris.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.