Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

1550-4_ICON.jpg

i only use this for romex. easier to control than a razor

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
why do you hate them?
I don't know what Peter's reason is, but my reason is that it's simply easier to change a utility knife blade than to sharpen a sheep's foot knife. If this was still 1930, I might like that knife more.

iwire

Staff member
peter d said:
That's good to hear, I would hate to get surgery from a guy using a dull knife. ;)

Pete, worry about it when I am a moderator at a spelling forum. :grin:

mdshunk said:
my reason is that it's simply easier to change a utility knife blade than to sharpen a sheep's foot knife. If this was still 1930, I might like that knife more.

Exactly.

I want the sharpest edge I can get and the only way to get that with a standard knife is to put it to a stone all the time.

don_resqcapt19 said:
That is fine as long as they are metallic....more and more are not.

I have yet to see a plastic shower valve body used with copper piping.

For that matter I have never seen a plastic shower valve body period.

Sure the handles, face plates etc but the valve body always bronze.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
peter d said:
I hate those knives. :)
dSilanskas said:
I love those knifes
:grin:

I've used everything from:
  1. Buck 110 (the original lock back)
    med_110.jpg
  2. Retractable razor knife (above)
  3. Pruner's hook knife (above)
  4. Boy Scout knives
  5. Pocket "pen" knives, both 1 & 2 blade, lock back and not, expensive and cheap
  6. Klein combo plier stripper / cutter
  7. Several types of zip rip / strippers
And, arguably, the most used type is the $2 single blade pocket pen knife, that I haven't lost yet, because it is in my pants pocket.

IMHO, ALL of these will damage a conductor if I don't do my job in a "neat and workmanlike manner"

peter d

mdshunk said:
I don't know what Peter's reason is..

Basically the same reason - easier to change a blade than sharpening, and those sheep's foot knives don't hold an edge for long and are perpetually dull as a butter knife. I consider them useless.

LawnGuyLandSparky

dSilanskas said:
Well Marc to be totally honest with you most inspectors around here say the same thing. I dont agree with them but its what they say and well have to keep the inspector happy. But trust me it is really annoying

An inspector is there to inspect the work, not how it was accomplished. He's not there to inspect your choice of tools. You could also knick a conductor using a folding knife.

electricalperson

mdshunk said:
I don't know what Peter's reason is, but my reason is that it's simply easier to change a utility knife blade than to sharpen a sheep's foot knife. If this was still 1930, I might like that knife more.
this is when this comes in handy with sharpening sheeps foot knives
48036.jpg

360Youth

I have forbid the utility knife for a long time not because I don't think it is a capable tools but I have seen it in too many incapable hands. :) It got tiresome to tape up those little tiny slits that people who did not know how to use one left in the conductor itself. I used it for a long time but found it was easier and more fair to not use a tool I did not allow. Also cuts down on the arguments as to who is capable and who is not when it is simply not an allowable tool for stripping NM.

This is my knife of choice.

Anyone tried these. Saw them for the first time a few weeks ago.

76nemo

360Youth said:
I have forbid the utility knife for a long time not because I don't think it is a capable tools but I have seen it in too many incapable hands. :) It got tiresome to tape up those little tiny slits that people who did not know how to use one left in the conductor itself. I used it for a long time but found it was easier and more fair to not use a tool I did not allow. Also cuts down on the arguments as to who is capable and who is not when it is simply not an allowable tool for stripping NM.

This is my knife of choice.

Anyone tried these. Saw them for the first time a few weeks ago.

I have to question those. What if you don't get a perfect bite? Here's another thread that may go infinite:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.