Concession Stands

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
So here?s a philosophical question. If you know the next Code is going to make a change, wouldn?t it be in everybody?s interest to incorporate it into current work?

In my opinion, it all depends on life safety. If it presented a life safety issue, then I would absolutely consider incorporating it. However, personally, I do not see why the GFCI device would need to be "readily accessible" because needing to be able to easily reach it after it operates is not a matter of life safety. The life safety portion comes from the GFCI device tripping. Access is only required to reset the device or to test it, both of which could easily be accomplished with just requiring the GFCI device to be "accessible." This is one of those changes that I feel NFPA is overstepping the purpose of the Code they have defined in 90.1.

But if we do start incorporating things that we know are coming down the pike, where do we stop? If NFPA has it's way, we can all be almost guaranteed that all new houses will have to be sprinkled. Not that this is a bad thing, but does us knowing that it is likely coming mean that we should start sprinkling all new houses now?

dkidd

Occupation
PE
GFCIs need to be tested monthly. That almost certainly won't be if they are not readily accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.