Concrete encased emt

Rob1221

Occupation
Apprentice
Hello all, looking at section 12-1400 (EMT) it says its ok to put into concrete. Your thoughts on this, we are installing boxes in concrete wall system. 1st for me but the specs just say conduit. What have you done/used? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We install EMT in concrete quite often. There are advantages and disadvantages to using it in concrete. If it can be installed so that it won't be damaged during the pour then it's okay to use.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Rob1221

Occupation
Apprentice
We install EMT in concrete quite often. There are advantages and disadvantages to using it in concrete. If it can be installed so that it won't be damaged during the pour then it's okay to use.

Welcome to the Forum. :)
Thanks for the replys, as for the boxes could I get away with a 4x4 & mudring (duct tape it up) or do you prefer the masonry boxes

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for the replys, as for the boxes could I get away with a 4x4 & mudring (duct tape it up) or do you prefer the masonry boxes
We use both types. For single gang applications with one device the masonry box is fine. If you're looking to pipe from one box to another than either a 4" or 4 11/16" box with a mud ring would be better.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
The only issue I've been aware of is the rust or deterioration at the point of where the emt leaves the encased tomb of concrete to the outside elements, typically wrapping those points with 50 mil tape or similar insulates that issue of concrete to air transition.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Screenshot_20230716-163735.png

Some fittings may say they are listed for concrete, but if you read the instructions, they are only able to be in concrete if you tape them.

darekelec

Article 100
Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in loca- tions subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations ex- posed to weather.

retirede

Article 100
Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in loca- tions subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations ex- posed to weather.

But nothing in the NEC prohibits EMT in wet locations. NY has an amendment that does.