conduit bends less than 90 deg. illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
Tell me what code section this pipe violates, then:

360.jpg

As I was posting last night, I knew there was a third term they are referred to as. I finally thought of it this morning: Candy Canes.

Theres a fourth too. "Gooseneck". Very useful bend when you want to penetrate at a perfect 90 degrees with the back end flush with the wall behind it. Great on slabs when you go over and then down.

I tried to delete this post as the picture above is not a "gooseneck". The earlier pictures were "goosenecks" sorry.

Last edited:

big john

In fact, "Shepherd's crooks" or "Bo-Peeps" are not uncommon.
ShepherdHook.jpg
Called "shepard's hooks" around here, and I've seen more than one guy who hates them with a passion. Installed one to avoid putting a pull-point way up in the air, actually had the boss send someone up there to replace it with a box! :confused: I figure the folks who don't like 'em are the one's one can't bend 'em! :grin:

-John

Last edited:

cycotcskir

I had that situation once. I've slept a good number of times since then so I unfortunately I can't remember either. It certianly was funny when he saw how I figured it out but hey....what are ya gonna do?

At least I'm not the only one

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Not quite that much.:grin:

I'm thinking 540: 360 on one axis and 180 on the other.
I was just joking around. I agree with you in one perspective... yet in another, it is only bent 360?... the 180? is twist and not the same as bend (though I have seen some electricians twist steel conduit [fortunately most was never installed that way] :grin:).

cycotcskir

Here's another fun bend to try out. I guess you would call it a "3-point Cross-over Saddle".

#Disclaimer#
I have never actually installed one of these. I had an application where this would have helped me out, so I decided to see if it could be done. It can... and it's fairly easy. The visualization just screws with your mind a bit.

View attachment 3545

The 360 degree rule was made for thoes that have never pulled wire. Just like the conduit fill rules. As all good electrician know, this is a measure of what stress a wire will withstand without damage to it which include streching the wire and degrodation to the insulation on the wire. The code book is very clear on this for each type of conduit, no more than 360 degrees on a between pull points and the bends can not damage the internal diameter of the pipe and can not have a greater radius than in table 2 in chapter 9. Oh and in a workmenship like manor, so if the inspector see's somthing real stupid like a very unnessary bend he can rule as not workmenship like. If he does do this, all you can do is thank him for saving you the agravation you will encounter when pulling these wires. PV

dejeud

180 degrees

~Matt

Isn't that the same as having two 90's?

It doesn't matter how far apart they are. You'll have the same friction.
The only two things that would restrict you is:
1: Size of conduit can not be compromised.
2: Radius of bend has to comply with code.

I agree with 480sparky. We used to do what he calls a shepherd's crook. We called it a goose neck - a rose by any other name.

As far as I know, 360 degrees of bends is 360 degrees, with no other restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.