Confusion with SE/USE/SER/SEU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why?

They likely have pulled the meter at very least shortly after arriving, If the riser is in major involvement in the fire, the drop may already be laying on the ground. Electircity does not conduct (especially 120 volts) very well through a mist or spray - needs to be solid stream - which wastes a lot of water when fighting a fire, and they are wearing PPE that may not have electrical rating yet I would think is pretty effective at only 120 volts. And I don't know what is going to go kaboom.

It's been a few years (OK, many years) since I was a professional firefighter. That being said:

1) From what I know, firefighters typically don't pull meters anymore
2) Straight streams are commonly used
3) PPE is typically soaked with water when fighting fire. But I didn't say there was an electrocution danger, but a danger of an electrical flash.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I pity the unsuspecting firefighter that hits an unprotected, unfused, melting installation like this with a hose stream.

Can you say "big kaboom!" :(

Very very unlikely to have any "big kaboom" and it is even unlikely for the fire fighter to get shocked (assuming the use of a combination type (not straight stream) nozzle.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
It's been a few years (OK, many years) since I was a professional firefighter. That being said:

1) From what I know, firefighters typically don't pull meters anymore

They do in our area. (NC) We go as far as to supply them with blank covers to install in the meterbase.

kwired

Electron manager
stick a couple probes in a bucket of water and connect 120 volts to them and it likely draws less than 5 amps. Depends on mineral content in the water.

Do they still make hot steam vaporizers for household use that is used by people that have cold or flu or other illness?

I remember we had one when I was a kid. When it either stopped working or didn't work as well anymore I would take it apart and clean the mineral deposits off the probes. That is all it was two probes connected to 120 volts and immersed in water - inside a plastic housing so you couldn't touch the probes. Unlike a heating element it automatically shuts off when all the water is boiled away and there is open circuit between the probes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe this is it

50599_sm.jpg

John120/240

OK the pictured installation is NEC approved, local AHJ approved, POCO approved.

For new installations here rigid mast & at least PVC from meter to inside panel. Maybe it is

just what one is accoustomed to seeing but I would not be comfortable with exposed

service cable. My 0.02 cents

kwired

Electron manager
OK the pictured installation is NEC approved, local AHJ approved, POCO approved.

For new installations here rigid mast & at least PVC from meter to inside panel. Maybe it is

just what one is accoustomed to seeing but I would not be comfortable with exposed

service cable. My 0.02 cents

There are exceptions but how much physical abuse is subject to most service raceways or cables? If emerging from grade the first foot or two is about the only place there is much increase in physical abuse.

donselectric

thats a cheap service plus a lot of waste of se.... i can count on one hand how many cable services i've done, just as easy using pvc.
i have used cable to the panel if theres not a clear shot but the outside gets sleeved. just looks better imo...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The service in the OP is standard procedure around here. I would estimate that 75% of all resisdental services are SE cable in and out of the meter enclosure.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The service in the OP is standard procedure around here. I would estimate that 75% of all resisdental services are SE cable in and out of the meter enclosure.

I would have to agree with Dennis. The old 60 amp services I change have it that way, and as Dennis stated, an old meter on pole service. I can't say I have seen a new one installed like that, and I see a lot of new installs for final connection. I wonder what an inspector around NC would say if he saw one like that?

How much does a service install of this nature go for?

Round here, 90% of the time they are done in EMT. A 200A overhead service change (nothing out of the ordinary) would go for 1800-2000.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
99.9% of my installs are underground but the few I have done overhead have been PVC. Not sure what an inspector might say if it were seu. It may give him cause to pause...:D

stickboy1375

99.9% of my installs are underground but the few I have done overhead have been PVC. Not sure what an inspector might say if it were seu. It may give him cause to pause...:D

LOL, I find it very amusing, how come the east cost accepts this, yet, its like we live in a 3rd world country to the rest of the US? So do they basically make SE type cable just for New England? LOL....

Status
Not open for further replies.