copper to aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boss had told me to install copper 2/OR burndy to the aluminum wiring within the customer's home, during an upgrade of a customer's service (100 to 200 Ams)and the installation of a Central Air Unit. Isn't this considered dangerous and cause power surges to the home? Please let me know I'm a bit confused.

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: copper to aluminum?

Type in "copper to aluminum" hit go. there is a few websites with the information you want.

I'm Right, Thank you Bennie. From what I see this does not meet code, correct or am I just understanding the explanation wrong?

iwire

Staff member

Did the connector look like this one rated for copper to copper.

0.EA

Or did the connector look like this one which is rated for copper to aluminum.

iwire

Staff member

Well then that would be a problem, using a copper to copper split bolt for a copper to aluminum connection.

I do not see this creating "power surges" but at some point the splice may fail altogether.

So why after this installation did the customer's purge surge? The two legs varied greatly in readings, the customer began burning light bulb like mad, then all her appliances began to burn out.

iwire

Staff member

The problems that can occur with a copper to aluminum splice do not usually start right away.

If the customer is having trouble with lights blowing out I would be concerned with any neutral connections.

A open neutral can cause voltages well above 120 volts on the 120 volt branch circuits.

Bob

How would I find the open neutral? Would the inspector find this?

Also it started with the light bulbs then a few month later the appliance began to burn out one by one.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Beantownbrat: Now is the time for an electrician.
Call one immediately, this is a hazardous condition.

I see a web site that describes this, thanks. Shouldn't the installer have checked this at the time of the CAC installation?

bennie

Esteemed Member

The AC unit will run fine. Everything else will smoke. At least the occupant will be cool as his house burns down, does he play the fiddle?

It's inconcievable that this condition has been present for such a long time. My bet is a highly oxidized connection.

[ July 25, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: bennie ]

brian john

When you hire an electrician have him check that copper only split bolt you installed. Specially if it was to extend the neutral. And does your boss have insurance?

G

Split-bolt lug rated for CU/AL

This is a copper to aluminum split-bolt. Put the copper on one side of the movable separater. Put the aluminum on the other side. This way they do not physically touch each other. Put some No-Alox on the aluminum before inserting it in the split-bolt. Do not scratch or score the aluminum conductor when you strip off the insulation. Be very careful. Any nicks or scratches will be a source of aluminum oxidation. Tighten the split-bolt to the proper torque. Do not under or over tighten. Keep the aluminum conductor separate from the copper conductor if they are bare-- keep them well apart from each other so they do not touch within your J-box or panelboard.

These other folks had way too much fun with you! This is an easy project. It's not rocket science, but it is critical that it be done meticulously and by the book.

0.B8

Noalox

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

awwt,
Aluminum oxidizes as soon as it is exposed to air and aluminum oxide is non conductive. I don't have the instructions for noalox here, but similar products from other manufacturers require that the conductor surface be abraded to remove the oxide. Some engineers recommend that you abrade the wire after applying the compound.
Don

G

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
<snip>manufacturers require that the conductor surface be abraded to remove the oxide. Some engineers recommend that you abrade the wire after applying the compound.
Don
Good point! Thanks for clearing that up. Nicks and cuts are bad. Careful abrading is good and probably required by the mfg. and the physical properties of aluminum. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.