Cord supported by building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
So 110.3(B) can be ignored as far as cord and plug connected equipment?:?

Does the premises wiring end at just receptacles or does it end at any outlet?

And where can I find the term 'premises wiring' in 90.2(A)?

90.2(A)(1). Or is this in a yard lot?

Edit: What is the reason for wanting a cord drop in the OP? Why is the receptacle not in the wall or floor?

Last edited:

renosteinke

Is someone attempting to assert that the NEC prohibits all permanent flexible cords that do not originate from a bussway?

If that were so, then every cable reel would be a vioaltion, despite the UL-listing of the assembly.

I would treat the bussway citation as applying to the 'where elsewhere permitted by this code' section.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
On reading 400.7(B) it seems like a flexible cord drop as seen in the op picture is allowed if it complies with 400.7(A)(3,6,& 8)

(B) Attachment Plugs. Where used as permitted in 400.7(A)(3), (A)(6), and (A)(8), each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from a receptacle outlet.
Exception: As permitted in 368.56.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Let me ask you Don.

Do you feel the NEC stops at the 'outlet' as George (and many) feel it stops at the receptacle?
In general, I do agree with that.

Let me expand on that a bit. It doesn't always stop at the outlet, but in my opinion it never extends beyond a receptacle. Given the definition of an outlet, the connection between an outlet and a motor junction box is beyond the outlet, but still covered by the NEC rules.
It remains my opinion that a lot of what is in Article 422 is outside the scope of the NEC.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
In general, I do agree with that.

Let me expand on that a bit. It doesn't always stop at the outlet, but in my opinion it never extends beyond a receptacle. Given the definition of an outlet, the connection between an outlet and a motor junction box is beyond the outlet, but still covered by the NEC rules.
It remains my opinion that a lot of what is in Article 422 is outside the scope of the NEC.

I too agree that it stops at the receptacle. Once went out on a complaint that someone had illegal lights installed on their house. The had three of the clip on shop spot ligts clipped to the eaves, but when I got there they were not plugged in, so in my opinion there was not a code violation.

Splitting hairs? Maybe. But in the picture you showed I wouldn't consider the cord attached to the structure either. For me to consider it to be attached I would say the you stapled the cord right to the building.

Now, all of that being said I would agree with who ever asked why they don't put a drop (pipe) there and install a receptacle at the equipment?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Now, all of that being said I would agree with who ever asked why they don't put a drop (pipe) there and install a receptacle at the equipment?
Maybe the equipment really and truly is movable like a sorting table at the end of a packaging conveyor?

tkb

There is a requirement for cord and plug connected equipment, but by definition that must be beyond the receptacle.

It is all so confusing. :D

Does OSHA allow permanently installed extension cords?

Is the equipment listed for use with an extension cord?

I believe the NEC reference for cord and plug connected equipment is for the equipment to be directly plugged into the receptacle.

If the equipment came with a long enough cord that would plug directly into the ceiling receptacle and the strain reliefs were connected to the supports with open S hooks, I think it would be compliant with OSHA and UL as long as the equipment was listed with the long cord.

renosteinke

TKB, I don't think your questions are fair.

OSHA rules are 'job safety standards,' not installation standards.

Likewise, the dwelling on 'permanent' ignores the many circumstances where such is permitted.

I believe your expectation that the appliance have a long cord is also unreasonable.

The circumstance described by the OP is quite common, and can likely be seen at your local grocery story. You recall, perhaps, the heated case that usually sits near the registers to tempt you to buy some hot roasted chicken? Look to see how that is powered. You'll probably find a cord going straight up, with a cap & plug about 6-ft. up, and another plug & receptacle somewhere on the 20-ft+ high ceiling. (I believe Wal-Mart uses multiple cord reels in place of the receptacle shown by the OP).

Think back a bit, and you'll recall that hot table being parked in various store locations for different seasons. This is, IMO, a proper use of 'cord' as the situation calls for both flexibility and frequent interchange.

Likewise, a visit to most any food processing plant will find some variation of this method -they tend to use fixed pendants- to power the various production equipment. That equipment gets moved about every day as part of the cleaning protocols.

Personally, I prefer supporting the cord from the building, rather than from any part of the electrical system. As stout as your conduit may be, it just doesn't compare to structural iron.

iwire

Staff member
It doesn't always stop at the outlet, but in my opinion it never extends beyond a receptacle.

I too agree that it stops at the receptacle.

Can either of you point top something in the NEC that supports that?

So for instance, if I was hired to install cord and plug connected highbays I could ignore the NEC?

Lets say these cord and plug connected high bays labeling indicated they were for indoor use only but I install them outdoors?

Past the receptacle so no 110.3(B) to worry about or really anything at all to worry about, I would not even have to run an EGC in my cord.
:p

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Can either of you point top something in the NEC that supports that?

So for instance, if I was hired to install cord and plug connected highbays I could ignore the NEC?

Lets say these cord and plug connected high bays labeling indicated they were for indoor use only but I install them outdoors?

Past the receptacle so no 110.3(B) to worry about or really anything at all to worry about, I would not even have to run an EGC in my cord.
:p
Bob,
You make some good points and I can't point to anything specific in the code that says it stops at the receptacle.
I guess we have to talk about what "installed" means as the scope of the code applies to installed electrical equipment. I would have to say the fixtures in question are installed so the code would apply. Not sure about the original question in this post.

As to the EGC, the code in 250.110 may not require it for the high bay fixtures.

Stevareno

How are you supposed to do a cord drop?:?

Like this:

2ex7diu.jpg

;):p

Status
Not open for further replies.