correct installation of EMT connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
If you were pulling in feeders....why not pull in a ground wire?......I say "Pull a green with everything"...makes life a little easier and you have a good path back for ground fault rather than relying on the conduit which is clearly liable to human error

Why not pull two, or three?

wawireguy

I'll give ya advice... Quit hacking and start acting like a real electrician. He could call you on 110.12, workmanship if he wanted.

brian john

If you were pulling in feeders....why not pull in a ground wire?......I say "Pull a green with everything"...makes life a little easier and you have a good path back for ground fault rather than relying on the conduit which is clearly liable to human error

So you think a guy that can't properly install conduit is any better at terminating a green wire and it is not easier in the total realm of things and cost more.

Last edited:

byourdesky

So you think a guy that can't properly install conduit is any better at terminating a green wire and it is not easier in the total realm of things and cost more.

Doesnt cost as much as failing inspection and having to re-do it....but then again neither does doing it right the first time

brian john

Doesn't cost as much as failing inspection and having to re-do it....but then again neither does doing it right the first time

AHHHH if specs do not call for it, and you install it properly the first time then issue solved. While I am all for a copper EGCs, someone besides me needs to pay for it, I am just not that nice a guy.

Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time? But there is always enough time to come back and fix it on a punch list or after a failed inspection.

iwire

Staff member
Just curious, do the guys that insist on the need of an copper EGC inside a steel conduit also run two EGCs when they run PVC?

ohmhead

Well were not being picking but we always have to use bonding bushings on any unprotected feeder or service or generator , But let me help you out i do believe we have a solution to your issue they make a grounding slip on deal it looks like a horseshoe with a ground screw to bite into you connector and encloser try thomas and betts they slip on under your locknut . We have used them there code compliant .take care

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
... they make a grounding slip on deal it looks like a horseshoe with a ground screw to bite into you connector and encloser try thomas and betts they slip on under your locknut .
They're called bonding wedges. They allow you to unscrew the bushing and locknut, slip the wedge around the conductors and over the threads, then replace the locknut and bushing, all with the conductors in place.

Mr. Wizard

I'm assuming that you cut your own holes, as most concentric knockouts won't go to 3 or 4 inch sizes. As has been mentioned already, the base of the issue is the conduit not bent right. Either remove, fix, and replace the conduit, or try to convince the inspector to let you use ground bushings instead. At this point he may just have you fix the conduit. You should be relieved it's not for the Army Corp of Engineers, they'll walk around with a level and protractor. If it ain't right - you get to go back and do it again. And don't blame everything else in the world on the problem to the inspector. If YOU ran the conduit and YOU underbent the 90, than it's NO ONE elses fault that particular part of the inspection failed. So fix it. Now. Then report to your nearest can of beer and have a good laugh about it.

Besides the electrical issues that have been raised. I've also run into inspectors who were having a bad day raise the issue of "workmanlike manner", which can be used to cover just about anything the AHJ doesn't care for.

I agree with the others, staighten the conduit and move on.

glene77is

I would work on tightening that locknut some more. Maybe you can persuade the cabinet wall to conform a bit more.

Larry,
Excellent Idea!
Move the wall over, reshape the locknut a little.
I 'move holes' all the time, ha. Just a little ream and a whack!

Or, maybe the OP should give the measurements,
such as degrees of angle error.
Could be that the angle of error is so great
that no manner of reshaping would help.

OP could give more detailed info. :smile:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Iwire,
I applied 517.12(B) to a patient care area, using PVC (RNMC),
and running 2 EGCs.

:smile:
I think you are talking about 517.13(B) and a second internal EGC does not satisfy the requirements of that section. The outer surface of the wiring method must be suitable for use as an EGC. A second EGC in PVC does not accomplish that.

Status
Not open for further replies.