Creative ways to run MC in drop ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

Have a job coming up where drop ceiling is at 11' and steel roof trusses are about 7' above that. I think even with a 10' step ladder, which you could get opened up, you'd be above the allowed rung on the ladder. Anyone have any creative solutions you've used in this situation.

A lift with an illegal (OSHA-wise) with a 4' step ladder up through the 2' x 4' tile would be one way - but even with the illegal ladder getting a lift around this facility would be a logistic nightmare. Could do an extension ladder, but that would be a ton of work as well.

Let's see what the creative minds on this forum have to say.

R2006

How is the drop ceiling supported?? We did a job earlier this year were we used caddy clips (bat clips) they allow you to clip the m/c to the ty wire supporting the drop cieling. I guess you would have to watch your weight (if you were running 100 m/c wires) but for a few runs they were great.

nyerinfl

I use a twisty pole, a long ceiling grid support wire, twist them up on the trusses for your paths needed and bundle MCs under the tie, then try to leave tie long enough to wrap and continue to tie to the grid when installed.

How is the drop ceiling supported?? We did a job earlier this year were we used caddy clips (bat clips) they allow you to clip the m/c to the ty wire supporting the drop cieling. I guess you would have to watch your weight (if you were running 100 m/c wires) but for a few runs they were great.

That must not have been a job installed with an inspection.

300.11(A)
...Support wires and associated fittings that provide secure support and that are installed in addition th the ceiling grid support wires shall be permitted as the sole support.

(A)(2) Non-Fire Rated Assemblies.
Wiring located within the cavity of a non-fire-rated-ceiling or roof-ceiling assembly shall not be secured to, or supported by, the ceiling assembly, including the ceiling support wires.

Cavie

You are not allowed to attach conduit to the ceiling support wires. Conduits must be hung from Independant wires. You can install your own wires with a long pole gun (don't know the word for them. I 've seen the installers install wires from the floor with them. )

SEO

Per section 300.11 you will have to install your own support wires. Not allowed to use ceiling system wires. If you can find a way to hang and support a wire you may be able to use a piece of emt cut a slit in the end install your wire in emt, bend wire over emt making a u, hook wire over bar joist, grab loose end of wire with slit in emt and twist, pull emt off and attach other end to ceiling grid system.

bjp_ne_elec

300.11(A)
...Support wires and associated fittings that provide secure support and that are installed in addition th the ceiling grid support wires shall be permitted as the sole support.

(A)(2) Non-Fire Rated Assemblies.
Wiring located within the cavity of a non-fire-rated-ceiling or roof-ceiling assembly shall not be secured to, or supported by, the ceiling assembly, including the ceiling support wires.

I was going to say the same, but I thought someone may have already responded. It needs to be independently supported.

Minuteman

If you can get to the grid guy early enough in the game, you can hire him to install extra wires for you. We usually have the wire painted yellow before the he installs them.

bjp_ne_elec

I use a twisty pole, a long ceiling grid support wire, twist them up on the trusses for your paths needed and bundle MCs under the tie, then try to leave tie long enough to wrap and continue to tie to the grid when installed.

Do you have a Manufacturer and Part Number? This sounds like a great idea. I guess they would go between the 1" space between the two parrallel members of the trusses.

I got a few - but it was fishing a piece of string up and over and then pulling jack chain - but your solution sounds more efficient. The jack chain doesn't like the transition over the edge of the trusss member - actually an L shaped piece of angle iron.

Looks like this on the bottom _/ \__ - but actually L and reverse L - couldn't find a way to duplicate it exactly.

Thanks

bjp_ne_elec

If you can get to the grid guy early enough in the game, you can hire him to install extra wires for you. We usually have the wire painted yellow before the he installs them.

This is a place that's been a running concern for 10 or more years. Good thought - but this isn't new construction. Have done that before - usually the ceiling guys will hang some extras if you ask them nicely.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

around here, that dog won't hunt. you cannot hang from ceiling wires
anymore with caddy clips.. you have to drop your own wire.

dropping wires is the quickest solution.... use 8' wires, about 40 cents each.

a LV gun on a pole can shoot into steel angle.....

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
around here, that dog won't hunt. you cannot hang from ceiling wires
anymore with caddy clips.. you have to drop your own wire.

dropping wires is the quickest solution.... use 8' wires, about 40 cents each.

a LV gun on a pole can shoot into steel angle.....

another, altho pricy option is this:

http://www.erico.com/products/SpeedLink.asp

there are other people who make them as well...
you can get one with a noose on one end, use a
string to pull it over the steel, slip the noose,
and then wrap the free end around what
you want to support, and cinch it down. no need to
go above the ceiling.

they aren't cheap however. there is a place in
santa fe springs that makes a similar thing. pm
me if you want contact info.

randy

growler

Have a job coming up where drop ceiling is at 11' and steel roof trusses are about 7' above that.

If all you need to do is run some MC cable then running seperate support wires is easy. But if you need to get to existing boxes mounted on the trusses then why not rent a one man lift. There are plenty of them that will get you up to 20 ft with no problem and go up through the grid.

220/221

We have a little giant ladder that would go up high thru the grid. It's a beast though.

I'd just use a 12' step ladder. The grid will catch me.....right?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
We have a little giant ladder that would go up high thru the grid. It's a beast though.

I'd just use a 12' step ladder. The grid will catch me.....right?

I don't think it will catch you, but it might slow you up a little on your way down....

cycotcskir

Grid Problem

Grid Problem

My first thought is to take some grid out at some key spots if you don't have a lot of MC.

You could also lean and extension ladder through the grid.

Use 3/4" EMT. It's hard to describe, I wish I had a picture.

Basically, take some tin snips and cut the end of the pipe down the length at about a 30 - 45 degree angle about 2-3 inches and bend it away from the pipe to make it stick out at a 60 degrees from the pipe. It should look like a little flag.

Take a piece of ceiling wire and bend it in half with a loop large enough for the jr. beam or whatever you are supporting to. Then bend that a little more. It should look sorta like those cancer research bows on people's cars. When the long side of the wire is pushed into the end of the pipe, the short leg should touch the pipe (or at least be able to be grabbed by the flag).

Hook the short leg over the jr beam and twist away.

I hope this is understandable. I wish I could describe it better... a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

mdshunk

You say there's steel trusses? Problem solved, if they're sufficiently close together. Attach a loop of #6 solid copper on the head of the MC and use a Gopher Pole to pass the MC through the bar joists or steel trusses.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Get a powder actuated fastener. Get you wire all set up on the end and bang it in with poles like these. They also make pre made fastener and wire for this but I dont use them. Just the pole. Then the wire hangs low enough to work with it.

pole-tool_medium.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.