Custom Remote Annunciators?

CadmanNY

Occupation
Project Manager
We have a high-end client that asked for their LCD annunciators (come framed with a black overlay) to be customized to match the high-end look of their lobby.
I see that the norm is either a black or a red annunciator. Does anyone have experience with a "linen" or "enamel" annunciator?
(Looking for feedback prior to approaching the AHJ)

CadmanNY

Occupation
Project Manager
Is there some reason you can't have the annunciator company paint the black part another color?
That's the idea... to have the annunciator faceplate either painted a glossy enamel or sheathed in linen - if the AHJ has no objections.
I was trying to see if anyone on here had ever had a similar experience.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
That's the idea... to have the annunciator faceplate either painted a glossy enamel or sheathed in linen - if the AHJ has no objections.
I was trying to see if anyone on here had ever had a similar experience.
Even though it doesn't sound like it could interfere with the operation of the annunciator, I'd bet most manufacturers would run away from that idea shouting "Unclean! Unclean!!" I don't know exactly what's in UL864, but if it hasn't been submitted to UL, I doubt anyone will approve of altering the surface of their equipment. But you can always ask.

CadmanNY

Occupation
Project Manager
Even though it doesn't sound like it could interfere with the operation of the annunciator, I'd bet most manufacturers would run away from that idea shouting "Unclean! Unclean!!" I don't know exactly what's in UL864, but if it hasn't been submitted to UL, I doubt anyone will approve of altering the surface of their equipment. But you can always ask.
Thank you. That's my fear - of violating some obscure UL rule or something.
I reached out to the AHJ and posed the question.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thank you. That's my fear - of violating some obscure UL rule or something.
I reached out to the AHJ and posed the question.
Have a conversation with the area rep for the manufacturer of the equipment you're installing. You can usually find the territory reps on the manufacturer's web site. The AHJ and vendor/distributor won't have much skin in the game for this proposition and are unlikely to follow up.