dedicated space above transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

coulter

iwire said:
... all I am saying is IR scans are something to consider and I do not have a lower limit. ...
Among the things I am saying is: If you can't quantify the spec, then it is likely not a good candidate for an NEC rule. Consider IR scans? Sure - design decision.

iwire said:
... One of my coworkers spends a lot of time doing IR scans of electrical systems in many types of occupancies. stores, factories, office buildings, health care buildings etc. ...
Okay - so what? If the OSHA required clearances are not there, don't do them. OSHA issue, not NEC

iwire said:
I think that 110.26 is very subjective and we can not really provide a national answer to what it covers and does not cover. ...
Another good reason why, after the minimums are met, the rest are design decisions.

iwire said:
... It's a real word out there and inspectors do have to make judgment calls with many code sections. ...
True. And I think it is a problem when one has an inspector making calls based on, "life experiences" instead of technical reasoning.

As we all know, the NEC is a permissive - if it doesn't say "no" its okay to do. If the NEC is nebulous on a certain subject, then I suggest the AHJ publish a minimum spec - that way, it doesn't change by the job.

carl

coulter

Just so I am clear (as if anyone could have possibly missed:rolleyes: ) I get somewhat miffed at AHJ that want to make design decisions. (Typed to sounds of carl laughing at himself - while pictures of him tilting at windmills flash through his head):)

Hey, I lay down and roll over for a stuck AHJ - same as most everyone else:confused:

carl

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Carl,
Given the wording in this code section, the requirement for all electrical equipment to meet the work space required in 110.26 is not really a design issue...it is only a judgment issue for the inspector based on the word "likely". If the judgment of the inspector is that the equipment is likely to be examined while energized, then you must meet 110.26. It is my opinion that all electrical equipment is likely to be examined while energized at some point in time. As I said in my other post, this code section needs work, but the CMP doesn't think so.

Karl H

This code section WILL change as IR in Industrial apps. is drivin by liability of Prop managment and their insurance companies. I havent done any Transformer repairs yet but, it's coming.IMHO IR is a great thing and long over due.I don't understand why people think they can install transformers and think that they will Induce voltage forever.While not thinking the primary and secondary are connected to Al. lugs that will loosen over time regardless of torgue.

Status
Not open for further replies.