DeHire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

What would you consider to be a fair amount of time to give a new hire to get up to speed with how your company operates. Do you allow 30,60,90 days? Do you allow the full probationary time or have you dehired someone early in the game.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I guess that it depends on what you've hired. A neophyte apprentice may take longer than a seasoned journeyman. IMO 30 days should be enough time to fairly evaluate someone.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
What would you consider to be a fair amount of time to give a new hire to get up to speed with how your company operates. Do you allow 30,60,90 days? Do you allow the full probationary time or have you dehired someone early in the game.

well, the jobs i have been on, the foreman usually knows at the end of the day if he's gonna spin someone.

so, i'd say you have till 1:30 in the afternoon. depends on the situation.

Rewire

well, the jobs i have been on, the foreman usually knows at the end of the day if he's gonna spin someone.

so, i'd say you have till 1:30 in the afternoon. depends on the situation.

half a day seems a little harsh I would querstion a foreman who made a decision based on so little information as one days work unless of course the guy couldn't find his way out of the porta potty. Also in this day of lawsuits you need to be sure of your footing before you dehire.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
half a day seems a little harsh I would querstion a foreman who made a decision based on so little information as one days work unless of course the guy couldn't find his way out of the porta potty. Also in this day of lawsuits you need to be sure of your footing before you dehire.
A day should be plenty. Most states are 'employment at will" and there is not real issue of losing a lawsuit. You don't need to even give a reason to lay someone off. If there is an employment contract in place, that can change the "employment at will".

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can tell when they show up the first day and say they didn't know they needed tools. I had that happen-- bye bye

I usually know the first day but I give it a few day before I drop the hammer.

cadpoint

90 days it typical for big house hires around here, I've heard of some 60 days.

Frankly I can't believe in this day and time that a candidate can pass most modern practices of becoming a new employee.

An arrest record and a complete history can be obtained weither they supply it or not.

Maybe as a employer you need to revamp you hiring practices, like everything else going on.

Rewire

A day should be plenty. Most states are 'employment at will" and there is not real issue of losing a lawsuit. You don't need to even give a reason to lay someone off. If there is an employment contract in place, that can change the "employment at will".

When was the last time you let someone over 50 go after just one day? At will is not a legal shield it just means you don't need cause.

Rewire

You can tell when they show up the first day and say they didn't know they needed tools. I had that happen-- bye bye

I usually know the first day but I give it a few day before I drop the hammer.

Did you tell them to bring tools? It's not a given to bring tools you show up at a nuke and expect to spend the first few days getting badged.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Did you tell them to bring tools? It's not a given to bring tools you show up at a nuke and expect to spend the first few days getting badged.

We are a small residential contracting firm. They knew they needed their tools. Second day no show. Third day shows up reeking of alcohol and promptly sent bye bye.

Another guy said he sold he tools because he needed the money-- didn't even give him a chance--

Rewire

We are a small residential contracting firm. They knew they needed their tools. Second day no show. Third day shows up reeking of alcohol and promptly sent bye bye.

Another guy said he sold he tools because he needed the money-- didn't even give him a chance--

I could have worked with the guy who sold his tools as I have been there. We usually have a basic tool pouch available. The no show and alky well thats understandable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I will give tools to a greenie but not to someone who calls themselves an electrician. I supply all the power tools but they need the pouch type tools.

Rewire

I will give tools to a greenie but not to someone who calls themselves an electrician. I supply all the power tools but they need the pouch type tools.

Guys been out of work for a time selling tools may have fed his family. I live by the axiom There but for the grace of God go I. Selling your side tools would be an act of desperation one that most would think hard about I would not try and take his pride by insisting on the details I would just give him the spare pouch and see how he preformed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
When was the last time you let someone over 50 go after just one day? At will is not a legal shield it just means you don't need cause.
It has been sometime, but as you say, I don't need a reason. There could be a potential issue of age discrimination, but only if I kept a less qualified younger hire.

Rewire

It has been sometime, but as you say, I don't need a reason. There could be a potential issue of age discrimination, but only if I kept a less qualified younger hire.

HR can be a mine field you can do everything right and still somebody can threaten to sue. The larger your business the greater the exposure your best defense is a well thought out hiring proceedure weed out the problems before they get in the door.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I've isolated some bad apples 1.5 hours in. Just depends. :)
Well George, I can spot that bad apple in 1.375 hours (If you never watched "Name That Tune" this will make no sense). At any rate I agree with all those in the camp that believe that the time it takes to spot a poser can be measured in hours and minutes; and in a lot of cases even less.

GUNNING

The longer a poser stays the more damage they do. Unload them when you see the mistake and don't worry about the consequences. It will all come out in the wash of time. Production will get better and moral will improve, it gets everyone's attention.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Based on watching a lot of people come and go in our shop and our engineering dept, I would say that about half of the people hired on average just did not work out.

Mostly the shop people that did not work out were as much lack of internal motivation as anything else. Most of these guys did not last long as we usually hire the ones no one knows or has any confidence in thru temp agencies. I have seen guys that spent most of a day chatting or texting and then wonder why a few days later they were told their services were no longer needed.

Most of the engineers that did not work out were due to lack of skills they claimed to have. It usually took a while for the bosses to figure them out, although most of the guys that had to work with them figured them out pretty quick.

One of the problems we have run into is that things have been so bad for so long in our area that basically any desirable employees have left town. It is very hard to find people locally, and even harder to attract qualified people to move here, since it is tough for our company to offer moving packages, especially for shop people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.