Delayed reaction from electrical shock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
First I don't see what you think is so funny. Crap happens. Second a lot of minor incidents happen all the time and are never reported, whether any rules were broken or not that is just the way it is. Do you report every minor cut or bump and bruise you receive while on the job? If so I apologize I guess you are the perfect employee that any employer ever wanted, but I bet you don't. Some of those minor things do end up developing more complications once in a while, whether we like it or not it is what it is.

Doesn't mean the guy that walks up and touches something energized (that isn't supposed to be) did something wrong. I'm not talking just electrical workers or electrical gear here. If you happen to get nailed when you touch some non electrical piping - something went wrong somewhere but wasn't necessarily your fault, and you don't have to be an electrical worker - it will shock the accountant just as easily. Now will there be investigation in to what happened, who may be at fault, fines handed down? If it was not a lost time incident likely not, severe injury or a death, you can almost count on it.

I was just trying to say people still sometimes do get shocked even if there is a good safety plan. Some people are still involved in automobile crashes and some even injured or killed, even if they follow the rules of the road.

You are the one who should try to adjust your thinking on this, not iWire. You can get snippy with me too if you want to but, our industry has evolved in the last few decades and iWire's points are extremely valid and germane. The funny part, or more accurately the ironic part of what he wrote is that no matter how our personal career experiences have been with live electricity, it is not OK to get shocked on the job today. It isn't any different than it is not OK to drive without a seat belt, and it would be unwise to get on the internet and post that it is not uncommon for you to drive without your seatbelt on.

I was fortunate enough to work for the Federal Government where many of these new ideas are implemented early. Years ago. True story. I was walking in the aisle of a submarine in dry dock. I reached up and pushed a handy box hanging down out of my face and received a shock the policy was report all shocks and the reasoning was that a person can die up to two weeks after receiving even a milliamp shock to the heart up to two seek later. I reported it and I actually got written up for getting shocked. I had to protest it to get the write up removed from my jacket.

I am pretty sure that OSHA REQUIRES every incident of receiving electrical shock to be reported. As a person in supervision, I have an obligation to the people who work under me to not trivialize the smallest shock or the smallest cut. Our company policy and I think you will find most company's policies are that ALL injury shall be reported to your immediate supervisor. If I convey the attitude that a little shock or a little cut is no big deal and the person develops arrhythmia or flesh eating bacteria, my company is going to be far more liable than if I seriously enforce that policy and accept that most incidents are not serious. The last thing I plan on doing is posting on Mike Holt that getting shocked is common, acceptable or no big deal, or that I am careless and cavalier enough that I get shocked on a regular basis.

jumper

I am pretty sure that OSHA REQUIRES every incident of receiving electrical shock to be reported.

Depends on the severity. All shocks are bad IMO, but a "run of the mill zap" probably would not fill the criteria. I am not agreeing or disagreeing, just presenting info.

https://www.osha.gov/recordkeeping2014/OSHA3745.pdf

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9638

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owastand.display_standard_group?p_toc_level=1&p_part_number=1904

__dan

In the OPs case it is required to be reported for a number of reasons.

Bingo. And exactly because the employee promptly reported to the employer as an accident or injury occurring at work. The employer's next step is spelled out to him by his counterparties joined to the instance, his insurer, OSHA, ...

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
It is very nice to say absolutely no shocks and report every one that happens, but it depends on the voltage and amount of charge. As a kid I got shocked hundreds of times, at least until my parents got different rugs.

Strathead

Occupation
Depends on the severity. All shocks are bad IMO, but a "run of the mill zap" probably would not fill the criteria. I am not agreeing or disagreeing, just presenting info.

https://www.osha.gov/recordkeeping2014/OSHA3745.pdf

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9638

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owastand.display_standard_group?p_toc_level=1&p_part_number=1904

I should have been more clear. I didn't mean reported to OSHA, I meant reported to the employer.

Strathead

Occupation
It is very nice to say absolutely no shocks and report every one that happens, but it depends on the voltage and amount of charge. As a kid I got shocked hundreds of times, at least until my parents got different rugs.

Now you are being silly and trivializing a very serious issue. Had you used an emoji it would have mitigated the insult.:happyno:

kwired

Electron manager
You are the one who should try to adjust your thinking on this, not iWire. You can get snippy with me too if you want to but, our industry has evolved in the last few decades and iWire's points are extremely valid and germane. The funny part, or more accurately the ironic part of what he wrote is that no matter how our personal career experiences have been with live electricity, it is not OK to get shocked on the job today. It isn't any different than it is not OK to drive without a seat belt, and it would be unwise to get on the internet and post that it is not uncommon for you to drive without your seatbelt on.

I was fortunate enough to work for the Federal Government where many of these new ideas are implemented early. Years ago. True story. I was walking in the aisle of a submarine in dry dock. I reached up and pushed a handy box hanging down out of my face and received a shock the policy was report all shocks and the reasoning was that a person can die up to two weeks after receiving even a milliamp shock to the heart up to two seek later. I reported it and I actually got written up for getting shocked. I had to protest it to get the write up removed from my jacket.

I am pretty sure that OSHA REQUIRES every incident of receiving electrical shock to be reported. As a person in supervision, I have an obligation to the people who work under me to not trivialize the smallest shock or the smallest cut. Our company policy and I think you will find most company's policies are that ALL injury shall be reported to your immediate supervisor. If I convey the attitude that a little shock or a little cut is no big deal and the person develops arrhythmia or flesh eating bacteria, my company is going to be far more liable than if I seriously enforce that policy and accept that most incidents are not serious. The last thing I plan on doing is posting on Mike Holt that getting shocked is common, acceptable or no big deal, or that I am careless and cavalier enough that I get shocked on a regular basis.

I understand the seriousness of this. Your second to last paragraph was exactly one type of situation I was trying to get at earlier. Minor incidents are the gray area. Some of them we maybe even forget about before we have the opportunity to report them. If an employer wants to have the employees report every bump and bruise I have no problem with it. I still expect there will be some that don't get reported, not because employees are necessarily rebelling, it just don't occur to them that it may be serious. If employer remains persistent with reminding them to report such things they will eventually begin to report more of those seemingly minor things though. But then you will have new people that need to get used to this policy as well.

Bob's points are valid, he may need to work on how he presents them at times, I may need work on that as well. All I plan to say on that topic though.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
a hand to hand Z is in the 800-1200 Ohm range per ISO and others
meaning a V in the 12-16 kV range

once flowing the R gets lower, 300 to 500
many factors though

what size cb trips instantaneously at 14 A ?

i don't know if it was instantaneously. i just know that it tripped,
and there weren't any arc marks present anywhere later when i
returned to look to see what happened.

all i know is that the secretary heard screaming. so she said.
she never bothered to get up and walk into the next room to see
what happened. it probably was not convenient for her to bother.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I understand the seriousness of this. Your second to last paragraph was exactly one type of situation I was trying to get at earlier. Minor incidents are the gray area. Some of them we maybe even forget about before we have the opportunity to report them. If an employer wants to have the employees report every bump and bruise I have no problem with it. I still expect there will be some that don't get reported, not because employees are necessarily rebelling, it just don't occur to them that it may be serious. If employer remains persistent with reminding them to report such things they will eventually begin to report more of those seemingly minor things though. But then you will have new people that need to get used to this policy as well.
Something that works against this is the notion that some workers have that if they are continually reporting minor injuries they may appear to be "accident prone" to their employers and therefore more a risk to their insurance. Rightly or wrongly they may believe it affects their likelihood to keep their job.

Strathead

Occupation

Bob's points are valid, he may need to work on how he presents them at times, I may need work on that as well. All I plan to say on that topic though.

Much of this is very touchy, especially cast out over the internet for decades to come. As a supervisor, I make it one of my missions to implement, follow and enforce rules evenly sensibly and clearly. What I don't know doesn't hurt me, but in this day of lawyers, OSHA, litigation and the concept that someone else is always to blame, no one that works for me can say, "Yeah he has that rule, but I didn't really think he was serious. When I was just a worker, did I take those things as seriously? I plead the fifth.

kwired

Electron manager
Much of this is very touchy, especially cast out over the internet for decades to come. As a supervisor, I make it one of my missions to implement, follow and enforce rules evenly sensibly and clearly. What I don't know doesn't hurt me, but in this day of lawyers, OSHA, litigation and the concept that someone else is always to blame, no one that works for me can say, "Yeah he has that rule, but I didn't really think he was serious. When I was just a worker, did I take those things as seriously? I plead the fifth.

It cuts both ways. The technology is there recording most anything you do whether at work or not. If you worried a lot about making some mistake you ultimately would never go out, that isn't much of a life either.

Status
Not open for further replies.