Delta and 3rd harmonics

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirenut1980

Thanks Charlie for that explanation. I believe that the idea of harmonics is a mathematical expression to give meaning and quantification to the very real effects of non-linear loads.

I can see that some of the peaks of the tripplen harmonics will coincide resulting in a magnitude that is 3 times that of each phase harmonics current magnitude, but I am still having difficulty seeing how each phase tripplen harmonic current being in sync with each other will trap them in the delta windings and not realease/travel further up the primary lines.

Jim, I think your explanation does explain why, in a wye (no pun intended) primary the harmonic currents have no choice but to dump into the primary phase conductors, however in a delta primary, using your analogy, it seems that you would have a current divider, with some harmonic current remaining in the delta windings and some harmonic current dumping into the phase conductors.

jtester

Wirenut

You're exactly correct, a little harmonic current can flow because of the current divider principle, however the impedance thru the high side system is often many times greater than that thru the transformer windings.

Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.