determining size of residential service

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Not that I'm aware of. Non-residential requires test bypass type meter bases and rating is 200A. Above 200A is CT's. Not a lot of industrial loads up here, though. Bigger industrial get primary metering. Mostly ski resort type stuff such as hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. Been here 18 years and never hooked up anything less than 200A non-residential. Even sump pump, lighting, etc. get 200A. Probably due to our rate structure regarding 200A or less being the same fees. Probably not typical.

Type of thing I had in mind was services for signs, communications, lift stations, roadway lighting, just to name a few. Often those types of loads are very limited and can run on 30 or 60 amp supply.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
So, is there an infinite amount of amps that can come into a house panel that has no main?...l
No, there's a finite amount of amps a house can draw. A 3000'sq house with electric appliances can't crack 80A with everything running wide open. Look at the POCO wires that feed a 200A service service on a house, they are about the size of a man's pinky compared to the wires going up the riser that are thumb sized.

kwired

Electron manager
No, there's a finite amount of amps a house can draw. A 3000'sq house with electric appliances can't crack 80A with everything running wide open. Look at the POCO wires that feed a 200A service service on a house, they are about the size of a man's pinky compared to the wires going up the riser that are thumb sized.
Other then electric heat I would agree in most cases. If you had a ~ 20kW electric furnace you are drawing ~ 80 amps when it is running regardless of what else may be running.

growler

Other then electric heat I would agree in most cases. If you had a ~ 20kW electric furnace you are drawing ~ 80 amps when it is running regardless of what else may be running.

Electric heat for sure.
Vehicle chargers
Tankless water heaters
Hot tubs and pools/with heaters

I really don't look at the difference between a 2K or 3K sq ft home as much as the major appliances or other major loads.

kwired

Electron manager
Houses fed underground use more power? Is that what you are saying?
Conductors in free air have higher ampacity then similar size and type in a raceway.

ETA: Plus if the 4AWG overhead conductor should happen to melt down, it is not too difficult for them to change it to 1/0.

Upgrade an existing smaller overhead supplied service and they don't always upgrade the drop unless they know there is significant load being added.

Status
Not open for further replies.