Devices without neutrals

Aaron Folk

Occupation
Solar Installer, Apprentice Electrician
I'm prepping for my journeyman's exam (2023 NEC) and just got caught on a question for service neutral calculations. Apparently water heaters don't have neutral conductors. Are there any other common devices/appliances that don't use neutrals that I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Mini-splits. But, it has both a neutral and non-neutral, sending neutral current onto the EGC. But off course that is why they are tripping the GFCI.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mini-splits. But, it has both a neutral and non-neutral, sending neutral current onto the EGC. But off course that is why they are tripping the GFCI.
Never seen one that used the EGC as a current carrying conductor. The issue with mini splits and newer high efficiency A/C condensers is the VFD running the compressor.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Never seen one that used the EGC as a current carrying conductor. The issue with mini splits and newer high efficiency A/C condensers is the VFD running the compressor.

Agree.

The minisplit is not using the EGC as an intentional part of the circuit.

The EGC is a path for the leakage current caused by the VFD high frequency switching and the parasitic capacitance between compressor and housing.

Jon

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Indoor unit of the cheap DIY from the big box had 120 run from the power feeder to the compressor and 240 for the compressor and no neutral connection terminal from the panel feed. Neutral and ground bonded within the compressor unit connections bus.

Unless they've recently changed

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Indoor unit of the cheap DIY from the big box had 120 run from the power feeder to the compressor and 240 for the compressor and no neutral connection terminal from the panel feed. Neutral and ground bonded within the compressor unit connections bus.

Unless they've recently changed

Yuck. That shouldn't have an NTRL listing and shouldn't be installed. That would absolutely trip a GFCI.

Jon

JouleJester

New User
Occupation
Control System Engineer
Huh, some curious forum I would say. Just a follow up question, how to tackle question considering the calculation of service neutral size?
Does it usally depends on the type of service or load ?!

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Huh, some curious forum I would say. Just a follow up question, how to tackle question considering the calculation of service neutral size?
Does it usally depends on the type of service or load ?!
See 220.61.
One should be allowed to ignore line-line loads when doing a load calc to size a feeder or service neutral. In my experience, this is never done in residential work, meaning most residential service or feeder neutrals are oversize. Commercial may be different.