Dimming recpt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

How much would it cost to keep me out of the running? :cool:

Follow the lead of General William Tecumseh Sherman, who replied when it was suggested he run for president in the 1884 election: "I hereby state, and mean all that I say, that I never have been and never will be a candidate for President; that if nominated by either party, I should peremptorily decline; and even if unanimously elected I should decline to serve."

These statements are often abbreviated as, "If drafted, I will not run; if nominated, I will not accept; if elected, I will not serve.";)

e57

I don't disagree - but, give a couple of examples.

carl
Went to a service call where the HO changed out the switch for a switched receptical while re-painting the room. Forgot about it as he put it all back - plugged in all his AV crap in the wrong one - worked great until he dimmed it and it all did the funky chicken. Not sure how much got damaged by it, I wasn't there for the inventory - but it did let the smoke out of at least one thing - I'm sure some of us know that smell.

That said - I have a number of dimmed outlets here at home, and just never get around to changing them to the Lutron ones even though I planned to ~ a year ago when I did it.

coulter

Went to a service call where the HO changed out the switch for a switched receptical while re-painting the room. Forgot about it as he put it all back - plugged in all his AV crap in the wrong one - worked great until he dimmed it and it all did the funky chicken. Not sure how much got damaged by it, I wasn't there for the inventory - but it did let the smoke out of at least one thing - I'm sure some of us know that smell. ...
Well, I didn't disagree that dimmed receptacles aren't necessarily a good idea. What I said, was I didn't see the science behind dimmed receptacles being a fire hazard or shock hazard.

90.1.B (2005) pretty well says that building per code results in an installation that is essentially free from hazards, but isn't necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate. I'd say a dimmed receptacle easily fits that definition.

Fried electronics happen for a lot of reasons - a few are:
Brownouts
The mythical SURGE
Lightning strikes
Ground rod > 25 ohms (my favorite) :rolleyes:
Improper installation/connection out of the box (my second favorite)
Not keeping the device in the box till it warms up after sitting in the back of the car for a day at -40 (F or C - you choose) - yeah that happens up here.

Maybe an improperly used dimmed recept is just another - but I still have not seen any evidence that it is a shock or fire hazard.

carl

coulter

A portable fan- in an undervoltage state will not cool properly, especially if it stopps spinning and develops a locked rotor position and can become really hot.
Maybe - better check the UL listing for fans. I'll bet a cup of yuppie coffee they can stall and won't get hot enough to start a fire. Then again you could easily be right and the UL doesn't rule this out. If so, this would immediately change my mind.

(Cup paid at the store of my choice - picked up in person)

carl

coulter

... - I have a number of dimmed outlets here at home, and just never get around to changing them to the Lutron ones even though I planned to ~ a year ago when I did it.
okay - how much of a shock or fire hazard have you seen in the last year? I suspect they have been pretty safe.

carl

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Originally Posted by Rockyd
I'm starting to see it now....

If you would just show the moderators a little respect, I could be your agent, and get you too, set up as moderator!

How much would it cost to keep me out of the running?

Depends on what kind of month you had. I'll get back to you after negotiations....The Mods like you, but they will probably like your cash better, thus avoiding the hot seat!

Status
Not open for further replies.