Direct Burial Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an application where I have a meter pole wih 200 Amp service on a piece of property and I need to bring the service 400' underground up into the house. I was intending on using 4/0 copper direct burial. Is there any code against it?

I see section 300.5 were it specifies a cable depth and the marker 12" above the cable.

I see section 230.50 (A) that states conductors need to be sch 80 where subject to physical harm like between the trench and the meter can.

I envene see on 300.5 (e) wher I could splice it underground (which I have no intent of doing)

What I don't see is where cable rated by the manufacturer for direct burial needs to be in conduit or encased in concrete.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Kirk

charlie

krussell@scs-usa.com said:
1. I have an application where I have a meter pole with 200 Amp service on a piece of property and I need to bring the service 400' underground up into the house. I was intending on using 4/0 copper direct burial. Is there any code against it?

2. What I don't see is where cable rated by the manufacturer for direct burial needs to be in conduit or encased in concrete.

3. Any thoughts?
1. No, you may use 4/0 Cu. if it is listed for direct burial. :) Note the following:
quogueelectric said:
You would save a lot of money by using aluminum to the service. Just make sure it is allowed in your area first.
2. You are correct. :)

3. Kirk, you have a service point at the meter pole. From that point onward, it is all between you and the AHJ, the serving electric utility should be out of the picture. I don't know your background but if you have not used aluminum conductors before and you are not working with someone who has that experience, use copper. Aluminum is not a forgiving material and will not perform well if it is not installed properly. :-?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
(EDIT - oops, missed that you already have a pole. Previous poster is right that this isn't a POCO issue, just an NEC 225 issue).

Its done all the time. But your local power company may have certain requirements you must meet in order to provide you with power. I've seen plenty of trenches with URD/USE triplex laying in the bottom.

We have these POCO rules that require 3" conduit for the service cable:
 Provide conduit under sidewalks, decks, patios, driveways, rockeries and obstructions.
 Provide conduit for electrical service lines within residential plats with lots sized one acre or less.

And these install limits:
 Contain no more than a total of 180 degrees of long radius bends.
 Install a 3/8 in. pull rope in the conduit (if conduit runs are 60 ft or more).
 Have a minimum radius of conduit bend that is not less than 24 in..

Last edited:

wireman71

Aluminum USE (URD) is easy to work with. Use de-ox on your terminations. Size properly and save $$$. I'd also recommend going deeper than what is required if possible and not cost prohibitive. Nice to get it 3-4' down. 338 talks about USE cable. I'd check on any local rules though before running 400' of it.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Voltage drop will be noticable but what is the building type? A farm shop that is seldom used or a home?

I give a direct bury option but make sure the customer understands there is no warranty on that installation. Gophers. One fault repair on DB cable at 4' will have paid for installation in Sched 20 DB raceway. Yes, we are allowed its use. Oversize the raceway.

CU is just to expensive and AL is not difficult to work with.

voltsge drop

voltsge drop

when I ran the voltage drop with 200 amps I came up with less than 10 volts.
And when I figure that on a 200 Amp service at any one time I will not be pulling more than 80 amps (I live in a warm climate and have gas water heaters, gas furnace, gas dryer) I fugure you will probably see like a 5 volt drop.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Mark,
Who is providing and installing the conductors in the conduits that are specified by the utility (post #8)?
Our local utility is telling us that the customer must provide, install and maintain these conductors, but they still want to set the rules for the conduit installation. I don't think they should be permitted to do that. It should be up to customer and the NEC on the load side of the service point and the utility should not be involved on anything, except the meter, that is located on the load side of the service point.

charlie

I am closing this thread. Forum rules do not allow us to provide assistance to a person who is not an electrician, and who intends to do their own electrical installation work.

Status
Not open for further replies.