dishwasher outlets behind dishwasher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnk

The DW is attached (by screws to the countertop) that is why it is not code to put a receptacle behind it. Stove and Refrig are generally designed to be moveable for cleaning. If you have a built in cooktop, or sub zero type refrig, both attached...no receptacle allowed behind them either. Exception: portable DW on wheels. I like the plug and receptacle for the DW, seems the other trades damage the dw romex whip.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
The DW is attached (by screws to the countertop) that is why it is not code to put a receptacle behind it. Stove and Refrig are generally designed to be moveable for cleaning. If you have a built in cooktop, or sub zero type refrig, both attached...no receptacle allowed behind them either. Exception: portable DW on wheels. I like the plug and receptacle for the DW, seems the other trades damage the dw romex whip.
Receptacle behind that is still "accessible". If the receptacle were required to be "readily accessible" then you would have a code violation. Read Art 100 definitions of "accessible" and "readily accessible".

GerryB

Doesn't it take about the same effort to put a cord on as it takes to put a "whip" on?

I usually put the receptacle under sink, and put the cord on the DW - usually before the plumber has been there. When plumber is done connecting water and drain he gets to slide it in the space and all that needs done electrical wise is plug it in.

Same with disposer.

Yeah, I guess it does. Sometimes (most of the time with me), these items aren't here on the rough and already in place on the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.