Do it yourselfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

Seems to be falling my lot, to follow up on a lot of do it yourselfers. Got a call last night from a lady who said her dryer wasn't working. Her X husband, had told her just to go out a turn the breaker off and on and it would start working. Just so happen this time it didn't so she called me. When I got there she proceeded to show me where the dryer was, when her minature collie ( I think that's what it was ) started barking and got ahold of my pants leg, just missing my ankle. I felt it's teeth brush against my skin:( When I finally got outside to check the disconnect, I found a nightmare of wiring. The dryer ( 10/2 romex ) was on a 60 amp breaker. Under one leg of the breaker was the white wire out of a 16/3 drop cord. The black wire had been cut out, and the green wire was on the ground bar. He had another disconnect beside that, and had 12/3 uf cable feeding about 100 ft. to a garage behind the house. The wire was laying on the ground , parts of it still in "coil position". It also was under a 60 amp. breaker. The wires under the breaker were already melting, with the hot conductor having exposed copper.
As I went to check what was putting it under such a load, I noticed the wire laying on the ground had melted in quite a few spots, and was brittle in some places. When I got to the garage, I found another nightmare. He had a welder recpt. rigged to the panel he had set, and the panel was atrocious ( if I spelled that right ) I told the lady that I needed to disconnect the wire before someone got killed or a fire started. She said her husband was suppose to come back and bury the line. I told if I was her I would not let him do anything. Another wire was in the "melt down" mode beside these panels at the meter. I advised her the best thing to do to clear up this mess would be to change the service ( everything was rigged, even coming out of the meter ) The poor woman didn't seem to understand the actual danger there was there. I straigtened it up the best I could for the moment. Put a 30 amp breaker on the dryer, and disconnected the uf cable. There was more but don't have time to state it all now. Point is: Why don't the do it yourselfers at least ask someone what and how to do if there going to try to do it themselves? It seems to be getting a regular thing here. Like I said in another post. They know just enough to be dangerous, not just for themselves, but for their families and others also. Just venting. Steve

celtic

sparkync said:
Why don't the do it yourselfers at least ask someone what and how to do if there going to try to do it themselves?
There are a few reasons....
1) Tim Allen....the DIYers fail to recall that was a sitcom
2) The DIY Network and the "home shows"....wehl I'll be, they done built that house in 1/2 an hour, I kin do that.
3) The awesome help at the box stores
4) Forum Rules ~ helping the DIYers is frowned upon here
5) Makes for great clips on the 'net [ Google Video]

Jljohnson

I get these type of DIYer's calling me all the time wanting free advise. They don't get it from me. Last thing I need is a lawsuit after they get hurt or burn the house down. "The guy @ XYZ electric told me to do it that way" They get a polite refusal the first time they ask with a very legal sounding liability speech. Quite often this works its way into a service call for me, other times they will reword the question hoping they are smarter than me and I will answer it the second or third time they ask. I have also found absolute electrical blasphemy in customer's homes when I go out to do a site vist to give a quote or do a "quick" service call. Some of the "quick" ones have netted thousands of dollars by the time its over with.

celtic

emahler said:
dammit, tell us about the $6000 gfci already.:)

and tell me who in NJ would do such a thing.
Who would do such a thing.....someone who had to :)
That's where I enter the scene.

[ The Elusive Neutral]

[The Elusive Neutral ~ Revisited]

To capture the highlight of my original post (from July 8, 2005 ! ):
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Well..you asked..so here it is:
$3594.26 to "replace" 1 GFCI.

Job total: $5894.26 (Contract on other "code violation" work $2300.00)

I don't feel "bad" - but any sane person would have to ask: " $3600.00 to replace 1 stinky GFCI ? ? ? "

When you consider it took 54 man-hours to trace the "lost neutral" (that was behind the HO's favorite kitchen chair the whole friggin' time while he keep tight lipped), and add in a few bucks for misc. material it's pretty easy to hit 3.6k.
[/FONT]
Thanks again to all who helped me out there!

Maybe I was "off" a bit on 6k for a GFI....but it's a dam good DIY story nontheless :D (give the links an eyeball or two).

....at today's rate, that ONE SINGLE GFI would be closer to $4500.

The signature below (my "bottom line") is a constant reminder to myself that the little jobs can quickly escalate into something larger :) $$$

Last edited:

drg

Its not only the do it yourself husbands you can thank, its also a lot of the working electricans out there who either don't plain know any better or more likley just flat out don't care about what they are doing , they are fast and dangerous and some bosses love em cause they "get er done" .

emahler

dave1976 said:
As A Service Electrician I Want To Thank All The Diy Husbands Out There. Job Security

at least you understand. DIY'ers, while the bane of my existance, have afforded me a fairly nice lifestyle. Cheers to them:)

emahler

celtic,

i think we found that guys relatives house. we are doing a complete gut here in beautiful Keyport, NJ. Luckily, they pulled all the walls. It's a 2000+/- sq ft house that must have had at least 45-50 buried junction boxes. I've never seen so many buried splices in my life. But at least he put them all in junction boxes.

charlie tuna

my problem is i usually run into these things when it's a gradus job!! like for some tradesman who figured he'd seen enough on the job to do it himself!!! and the worst of it is they will no tell you what they did -- until you find it!!! the last one really got to me. it was a ceiling fan installation that was easy. but the two wire feed to the fan didn't have a neutral and i never read either wires to ground --- both were "hot"!! which would have told me he had something spliced wrong in another junction box. if i had read either wire to ground i would have known!!! the house wasn't too old and i began opening things up -- again i'm thinking a neutral splice came loose.. his wife told me "well he had me move my computer to work in this box" ---- thats where it was and he had spliced both wires from the fan to the hot!! a one hour job that aggrivates you for three hours. always a gratus job for me!!!

Kessler4130

drg said:
Its not only the do it yourself husbands you can thank, its also a lot of the working electricans out there who either don't plain know any better or more likley just flat out don't care about what they are doing , they are fast and dangerous and some bosses love em cause they "get er done" .

That about says it all, the only thing I dislike more than DIY'ers is those wanna be electricians that think doing it fast and careless is the way to go. Thats fine I will always get paid to go fix what they screwed up in thier tornado of production.

dave1976

boy do i have one! there is a local electric co. the owner is so bad he hires rent-a-drunks.( from the rescue misssion ) they was wiring a school. the inspector came up one day he has to keep close watch on these fellas. inspector told them to put up a gutter to bring pipes together. they went to home depot and bought a rain gutter and din't even put the ends on it thay had wire layin on the inside of it. the inspect hit the roof and the general contract voided there contract no XXXX.

Edit inappropriate language.

Last edited by a moderator:

celtic

emahler said:
celtic,

i think we found that guys relatives house. we are doing a complete gut here in beautiful Keyport, NJ. Luckily, they pulled all the walls. It's a 2000+/- sq ft house that must have had at least 45-50 buried junction boxes. I've never seen so many buried splices in my life. But at least he put them all in junction boxes.

OMG...tell me you have pictures!

I wish I had taken the time to grab my camera for that job.

celtic

Kessler4130 said:
That about says it all, the only thing I dislike more than DIY'ers is those wanna be electricians that think doing it fast and careless is the way to go. Thats fine I will always get paid to go fix what they screwed up in thier tornado of production.

The "tornado of production"...LMAO....goes hand-in-hand-in-hand with "spnotaneous construction" and the "tasmanian electrician". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.