Does an electrical charge have weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Does that mean that system T will gain mass in this scenario?
yes
Isnt the hysteresis phenomenom involved??? I dont believe that is converted to heat.
During the regular operating cycles, hysteresis loss becomes heat. I supposed on the last 1/2 cycle, you could have some net increase in a material's energy state remaining (a modified equilibrium state for the transformer?).

But what I was really discussing was the energy that was propagating through system T that was destined for system L.

Think more along the lines of the power that is flowing from a generator when some load is dropped. This delay is due to the generator not being able to respond immediately and so the "excess power" causes a voltage rise.

Our delay was due to some introduced delay due to something in system T. This was so we could envision a scenario where energy could be trapped in T.

If it can't push it back to the source or deliver it to the load, the transformer will dissipate it in an attempt to return the transformer to equilibrium.

Mayimbe

extrapolating, does that mean then, that every equipment or thing that has a R-L-C nature, will have a mass increase or energy increase every time someone puts electrcity on them???

hysteresis loss becomes heat.

Are you completely sure about this?, I mean the way that I was presented the hysteresis phenomenom had nothing to do with losses, it was all about magnetization of the core... It was something like if you magnetize a core with a constant magnetic flux, and B gets to 1.3 Tesla, that does not necesarily mean that you would need the same value of magnetic flux to demagnetize the core, to get B equal to zero. Its not linear. From what I remember.

Think more along the lines of the power that is flowing from a generator when some load is dropped. This delay is due to the generator not being able to respond immediately and so the "excess power" causes a voltage rise.

the famous "delta angle" in the machines... Good example.

As bigger the size of a generator, the bigger the mass, the bigger the inertia, the bigger the kinetic energy store in the rotor, and bigger the reliability of the machine.

mivey

extrapolating, does that mean then, that every equipment or thing that has a R-L-C nature, will have a mass increase or energy increase every time someone puts electrcity on them???
It is just not about R-L-C. If there is a net gain in energy, there is also an associated net gain in mass.

Even in a simple wire where we push in one electron and take one out and get a net particle gain of zero this is true. We also supplied extra energy to the wire to overcome resistance and the wire warms up. The pre-existing molecules now have some heat energy stored in them (until the wire cools back down).
Are you completely sure about this?, I mean the way that I was presented the hysteresis phenomenom had nothing to do with losses, it was all about magnetization of the core... It was something like if you magnetize a core with a constant magnetic flux, and B gets to 1.3 Tesla, that does not necesarily mean that you would need the same value of magnetic flux to demagnetize the core, to get B equal to zero. Its not linear. From what I remember.
The hysteresis loss can be seen as the work done to reverse the magnetism in the core. The "molecular friction" from this reversal manifests itself as heat. See here:
http://www.copper.org/applications/electrical/energy/trans_losses.html
The biggest contributor to no-load losses is hysteresis losses. Hysteresis losses come from the molecules in the core laminations resisting being magnetized and demagnetized by the alternating magnetic field. This resistance by the molecules causes friction that results in heat. The Greek word, hysteresis, means "to lag" and refers to the fact that the magnetic flux lags behind the magnetic force. Choice of size and type of core material reduces hysteresis losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.