Does my megger work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Thank you so much for the help Gold, I've learned a lot. In the five - six years I worked residential, not one of the EC's owned a megger, or even mentioned the word. When I got into commercial, a megger would make an appearance from time to time, but I was into running pipe so I paid no attention to them, thus I have no real world experience with the instrument. I'm no longer in the field full time but I know a lot of EC's (Residential) and none of them own a megger and most have never used one. (I asked them because I was selling one at the time).

Thanks again for the responses. Add to it if you wish as I can't be the only one here with megger misconceptions :)

big john

When you're doing an insulation resistance test you have three types of current:
1) Capacitive current, as you put a charge on the conductor relative to its environment.
2) Polarizing current, as you orient the dipoles in the insulation in the present of a strong electric field.
3) Resistive current, that flows through imperfect insulation or tracks across contaminated surfaces.

Generally speaking the capacitive current goes away quickly as the capacitance charges to full voltage. When doing a 60 second DAR test, this is the function that is causing most of the rapid increase in resistance during the first part of the test. Once the capacitance is charged, the only current flowing is polarizing and resistive. You can see the effect of capacitive current by watching the needle on an analog megger when you turn it off: The needle often deflects the opposite direction as the capacitance discharges the current back through the metering circuit.

The polarizing current depends very largely on the type of insulation. Some insulation has a very rigid structure and does not polarize easily, and this means that running a 10 minute PI test will not yield "good" results, even though the insulation itself may be sound. Some old insulation will polarize excessively and you get very high PI readings, even though the insulation is very deteriorated. But when the resistance continues to slowly and steadily climb as the test progresses, you can be pretty sure that is because of polarization.

Finally you have resistive current. This very rapidly rises to a constant value. It's what tells you what is directly leaking through or over insulators, and is generally the largest component of the current flow, so also the biggest factor in your final resistance reading. When you hook up a megger and it reads a steady, unchanging value, that is because you have low capacitance, and low polarization, and the majority of your current is simply through leakage.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Without going into much detail, I would just like to point out three things that are also not obvious to somebody who never used one:
1. The early meggers, and some current ones, use a hand cranked generator to produce the test voltage. Batteries could not go high enough and HV power supplies were not rugged enough.
2. A typical insulation tester today will have two or more output voltages, and maybe a choice of AC or DC for testing MV and HV cables where applying excessive DC could damage even good insulation. You select the highest voltage that the insulation you are testing can withstand safely.
3. It is absolutely critical when testing wiring that all loads or devices that might be damaged by the test voltage be disconnected first. This can include upstream breakers, even if they are open. When megging a motor it is best to disconnect all of the power leads from controls first.

p real

There is only one authoritive megger test
Purchase cold beverages
Drive to favorite lake
Energize megger (wear proper ppe, waders are rubber
Insert probes in lake
If fish rise, successful megger test complete
Guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.