down power lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Thanks, learned something new today. I've seen spacer cable around here but never knew what it's called. In all my travels throughout BC I think I've seen it in maybe four places.

View attachment 10305

That's it!! :D

You normally find it in very heavily treed areas or on critical circuits, so in areas where few trees exist its exceptionally rare. Its unheard of in the Midwest but common in the north. Southwire and Hendrix are the 2 major players in the industry if curious about it.

kwired

Electron manager
That's it!! :D

You normally find it in very heavily treed areas or on critical circuits, so in areas where few trees exist its exceptionally rare. Its unheard of in the Midwest but common in the north. Southwire and Hendrix are the 2 major players in the industry if curious about it.

I know of one place in the midwest that I have seen it.

Firefighters generally know to stay away until the POCO arrives... but I've seen more stupid things from them than I can count.

There is one story of a department putting their ladder into 115kv. It totaled the truck, but luckily nobody was hurt. I assume there was nobody standing next to the truck. There was a guy on the ladder and a guy on the controls. The chief wanted the POCO to pay for a new truck because the wires were not covered.. I've never seen 115kv insulation in the overhead. How dare the utility not cover their transmission lines.

I had another where a substation feed riser was faulter, but was not operating the recloseing fast enough. The firefighter walks right over to the riser and then acts like I'm an idiot for telling him to stay away. Ten seconds later it catastrophically faulted. He would have been dead or burned really badly if it were ten seconds earlier.

And be weary of spacer cable, not that you would be near it, but it's only insulated for brush contact with high resistance objects(trees). I've seen it stay in and running when it's flipped and all the phases wrapped for months, but I've also seen it melt down from a twig across a phase and messenger.

I once had a tree crew clear spacer cable that was on the ground from downed trees. They put cones on it and told the people who lived at the house where it came down that it was safe to walk under it. The people had to duck to walk under it, it was about four feet off the ground. It was like that for two days.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I posted some info that came straight from my POCO and was told that it was wrong. Well I wouldn't bet my life on what I "thought" I knew about transmission lines.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Firefighters generally know to stay away until the POCO arrives... but I've seen more stupid things from them than I can count.

There is one story of a department putting their ladder into 115kv. It totaled the truck, but luckily nobody was hurt. I assume there was nobody standing next to the truck. There was a guy on the ladder and a guy on the controls. The chief wanted the POCO to pay for a new truck because the wires were not covered.. I've never seen 115kv insulation in the overhead. How dare the utility not cover their transmission lines.

I had another where a substation feed riser was faulter, but was not operating the recloseing fast enough. The firefighter walks right over to the riser and then acts like I'm an idiot for telling him to stay away. Ten seconds later it catastrophically faulted. He would have been dead or burned really badly if it were ten seconds earlier.

And be weary of spacer cable, not that you would be near it, but it's only insulated for brush contact with high resistance objects(trees). I've seen it stay in and running when it's flipped and all the phases wrapped for months, but I've also seen it melt down from a twig across a phase and messenger.

I once had a tree crew clear spacer cable that was on the ground from downed trees. They put cones on it and told the people who lived at the house where it came down that it was safe to walk under it. The people had to duck to walk under it, it was about four feet off the ground. It was like that for two days.

Good point. Its insulated to keep the lights on not to keep people safe as I tell those who might come around these.

The transmission line is a good one:lol: The insulation needed to insulate a transmission line would literally be thicker than the conductor itself.:eek: (Think underground XLPE cable)

fmtjfw

Tree Trimmers

Tree Trimmers

I saw a guy with a tee shirt from the local tree trimmers that often work for the POCO. It said "Stay off the Line in 2009". I'm guessing they had a contact incident in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.