Draw out Circuit Breaker symbol on HMI

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

kburgess1037

Occupation
Facility Management
Looking for examples on how to represent a draw out circuit breaker in the drawn-out position on a PC interface HMI. Thanks in advance.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
How about

---<<---[cb]--->>---

The arrows are often shown in colors to indicate if the breaker is racked in or out, and the box color for when it is closed, open, or tripped. This, of course, depends on what status is reported by the breaker and its cell.

Last edited:

kburgess1037

Occupation
Facility Management
_____<---[cb}--->
---<______________>---

The above is a sample I was given by the software designer, does this make sense to not only experienced electricians, but other tradespersons doing work and operating equipment in a facility with PC HMI controlled systems? The idea for this HMI is to avoid excessive use of color, saving it only for alarms and abnormal status indications.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
___<<---[cb}--->>
---|________________|---

This is option 2
Option 1 is good for showing a racked out breaker.
One connector stays with the one-line while the other stays with the breaker.

Option 2 looks like a spare breaker/unused breaker.

How do you plan to show the breaker status of being Open or Closed.

kburgess1037

Occupation
Facility Management
That’s was my thought as well, that one stays and one moves. When racked in and closed it will be the same color as the circuit, when racked in and open it will be grayed out, and when racked out it will be grayed out and separated from the circuit.

ModbusMan

Occupation
Building Automation Engineer
The Russelectric HMI we've inherited at one of our data centers uses a solid box (red = closed, green = open) for a racked-in breaker, and an outline for one that's been drawn out. I found this example with a quick Google.