Drill bit sharpener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

I have tried the drill doctor, not too good.

jdsmith asked why would I want to sharpen bits in the field? Sometimes I need to sharpen a bit in the field. I tap all holes. If I need a number 7 for a 1/4-20 I don't use a 13/64, I don't just grab something close to the size. I often have to move something over a little or remount things because someone used the wrong size and it stripped out the threads. I also know the speed and and feed rates, necessary coolant/lubricants, and the difference in types of metals. I was asking if anyone knew of a good portable drill sharpener. Not a looking for a lecture.....I used to be a tool and die man, I don't rig it. And I never ream a hole with a bit, I use the proper size.

I sharpen them at the shop by hand on a bench grinder, after I get back to the shop, split points also (yes it can be done if you know what you are doing and I do). They last many times longer than a new cheapo bit at the supply house. If a bit is getting dull, I don't force it and ruin the bit. I would rather touch it up until I can finish the job.

electricalperson said "your boss should provide you with drill bits." They will provide a few, but they don't meet my standards. I brought my own from home, my old tool and die stuff. My boss reams out a hole and puts a nut on the backside. The next time something needs to be removed you have to take everything apart to get to the nuts. I'll get scolded for this probably.... but he used to be a city of Greenville inspector!

I'm sorry if I sound like I am ranting............. well, I guess I am.........

I hope no one has been injured by these comments. I am just a little bit of an azz today!

SmithBuilt

hockeyoligist2 said:
I used to be a tool and die man

I'm surprised you have to ask then. No, IMO there is not a good portable.

After you see the price you may want to continue by hand, which is the best method IMO. Even some of the good machines aren't as good as someone who is proficient by hand.

http://www.southern-tool.com/store/darexv390.html

hockeyoligist2 said:
I'm sorry if I sound like I am ranting............. well, I guess I am.........

Everyone deserves a good rant from time to time.

ItsHot

cheap bits?

cheap bits?

Cheap bits are not worth the time involved to resharpen. If you are having to drill a lot of stainless steel(op), go slow and keep the bit cool. Use cooling agent, I have even used water in a soda bottle. Another tip on drill bits for those of you that do not already know this. Years ago I was drilling a lot of red iron in a new building. It was eating up the bits and drilling time was slow. I was using 1/4 bit and bolts. I know what you are thinking...bee-line fittings!. I discovered Black and Decker's "bullet" bits. These things are the trick! They are a lot faster and last a lot longer. They are still available, and Dewalt has the same bits being that Dewalt and B&D are same outfit. They have a special designed tip that starts faster and reduces wandering.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For us, HSS drill bits are like band saw, hack saw and sawzall blades. When they become worn they get tossed. I might consider a bit sharpener if it worked as well as an electric pencil sharpener, otherwise IMO it's not worth the effort.:rolleyes:

jrclen

I've never heard of, or saw any portable drill sharpener that actually works. And carrying one of those would be no less trouble than carrying a small grinder with a wheel or two on it. I use a small bench grinder on my bits, like you probably do. I could take that with me in the truck, but I simply take a half dozen #7's for tapping 1/4 holes. I'm only on the road for a day at a time so that usually does it. I am the cheap boss in my outfit. :grin:

hockeyoligist2

jrclen said:
I've never heard of, or saw any portable drill sharpener that actually works. And carrying one of those would be no less trouble than carrying a small grinder with a wheel or two on it. I use a small bench grinder on my bits, like you probably do. I could take that with me in the truck, but I simply take a half dozen #7's for tapping 1/4 holes. I'm only on the road for a day at a time so that usually does it. I am the cheap boss in my outfit. :grin:

Problem solved! I bought a small bench grinder and a tackle box today. The grinder fits real snug in the box so the rocks won't get damaged.

iwire

Staff member
hockeyoligist2 said:
The boss buys real cheap soft 1/4" bits for our hole saws.

They all do. :grin:

They will bend on me sometimes. Then I get a "wallered out" hole instead of a neat hole

I understand but in the end it is the bosses name on the work.

I wish everything the shop supplied me with was top of the line but really I will be satisfied with steady employment and if buying cheaper tools & materials helps that I am all for it. :smile:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
hockeyoligist2 said:
I bought a small bench grinder and a tackle box today. The grinder fits real snug in the box so the rocks won't get damaged.
That must be a small grinder or a big tackle box. What models are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.