Drum cage at church

Mike410is

Occupation
Residential electrician
Hello everyone,
My church is installing a portable drum cage on the stage. It needs a quad receptacle inside the cage for some fans and electronics. 5ish amp load. I'm checking to see if anyone on here has ever done something like this. I'm thinking about installing a 20 amp inlet on the outside of the cage and wiring the receptacles inside the cage off of that. Then they can plug an extension cord in and power the cage. The cage is wood frame with wood paneling on the exterior and drywall on the interior. Any advice would be appreciated as I have no experience in this. Thanks

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Keep it simple? After all its just drums...
You could see if the pastor or music director may forsee a need for audio/data or more power..
Which they will most certainly need...

Mike410is

Occupation
Residential electrician
Keep it simple? After all its just drums...
You could see if the pastor or music director may forsee a need for audio/data or more power..
Which they will most certainly need...
I'm going to talk with them on Wednesday, but I'm pretty sure they have someone doing the audio/data stuff already. Do you see any problem with doing an inlet on the exterior?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Is the drum cage 'mobile?' Will it be moved to different places on the stage from time to time? Would preclude a floor box.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
A 20amp straight blade inlet. Similar to something used for a generator hookup
It's called a "Male Receptacle." I've installed them on things like pianos with a humidity control system. Electrically the same as installing a cord and plug. Since it is installed on the appliance side, I don't think it is covered by the NEC.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I play drums at my church, and we have a plexi shield around the drums. We have multiple recessed floor boxes installed around the stage, and I just run an extension cord to a power strip for my fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Drummers are uncivilized savages and they need to be kept in a cage. :D

PaulMmn

Occupation
Ah, but to -really- stir up the sinners, you need a pipe organ! Not one of those electronic doo-dads with speakers, but a pipe organ-- 16 or 32 actual feet of pipe, with an air blower that could compare favorably to a jet engine.
1713378478069.png

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Ah, but to -really- stir up the sinners, you need a pipe organ! Not one of those electronic doo-dads with speakers, but a pipe organ-- 16 or 32 actual feet of pipe, with an air blower that could compare favorably to a jet engine.
View attachment 2571194

there is a church in my hometown with an MP Moller pipe organ. I grew up going there occasionally with my best friend and always loved the organ.

PaulMmn

Occupation
there is a church in my hometown with an MP Moller pipe organ. I grew up going there occasionally with my best friend and always loved the organ.
The church I went to growing up had a pipe organ. One row of big pipes was the backdrop for the speaker's platform. At Christmas time a large wreath with a large bow was hung on the front of the pipes, with the ends of the bow dangling down in front of the mouths of the pipes. I always liked watching for the organist to play a real low note, and make the ends of the bow flutter in the breeze from the pipe.