Dual Coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
. . . . They don't seem to get the concept of concealing cables very well. Sometimes they are not easy to conceal but I have seen many that were run on surface that easily could be fished.

in most cases they're not allowed to do wall fishes for liability reasons.

and for the sake of time; those guys have a certain number of installs they have to complete every day or they get financial penalties; not just sub-contractors, but in-house techs too.

one of the major two sat providers is a client of ours, which is where i learn most of this stuff. as for the tech part i have SBCA certification; just 'cause.

I hate satellite installers. Nothing like doing a nice neat installation on a $200-500K home then when you are there for some final items you see where the satellite guy thought you didn't run enough cables to some particular point and his install looks like hell.

my worst memory of working behind one of these guys was in a house we did a structured wiring system. we didn't put any satellite components into the SMC, not knowing what the homeowner would choose. other than phone/data blocks, we left an 8-way RF splitter in there. the sat installer attempted to use this as a multiswitch. when it didn't work, he strung new cables all around the outside of the house and penetrated the exterior walls into the rooms with receivers. homeowner called me expecting some type of resolution from us.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
in most cases they're not allowed to do wall fishes for liability reasons.

and for the sake of time; those guys have a certain number of installs they have to complete every day or they get financial penalties; not just sub-contractors, but in-house techs too.

one of the major two sat providers is a client of ours, which is where i learn most of this stuff. as for the tech part i have SBCA certification; just 'cause.

my worst memory of working behind one of these guys was in a house we did a structured wiring system. we didn't put any satellite components into the SMC, not knowing what the homeowner would choose. other than phone/data blocks, we left an 8-way RF splitter in there. the sat installer attempted to use this as a multiswitch. when it didn't work, he strung new cables all around the outside of the house and penetrated the exterior walls into the rooms with receivers. homeowner called me expecting some type of resolution from us.

I had one pull his runs to the dish through some holes in the floor joists that I had drilled and intended to run some other wiring through later on and of course when he went outside to run to the dish locatation had it poorly supported and it looked like crap. In the mechanical room where I had run all my lines to and he installed his switching devices he left a tangled up mess just hanging by the cables - did not even mount switches to the wall.This was a $500,000+ home. Owners were not moved in yet, I told owner to get them back and clean that mess up.

In the meantime I pulled all of his cables out of my holes. I was not going to drill them again he can drill his own, and I was not afraid to cut them if it made it easier to remove them.

I drilled them early on with the intent of running feeds to air conditioning equipment when the A/C got installed later, in fact I was getting ready to run these A/C lines at the time I discovered my holes were filled with coax cables:mad:.

I don't get really PO'd too often at other trades but this was one of those exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.