Duplex Garage wiring

perl82480

Occupation
maintenance electrician
An upcoming job I have is refeeding and rewiring a non-owner-occupied duplex, 2 car garage. My question, is there anything in the code that requires power from both units to be brought to the garage? There is no public panel.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Feeding the garage from one unit will require a decision - who pays the bill for power used in the garage? Isn't there a requirement that a garage must have a utility outlet? Are there electric garage door openers?? I think not planning for electric vehicles will come back to haunt the owner(s).

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Questions to consider. Who has occupancy rights to the garage? Is each bay access separately and isolated? What was the arrangement prior to need for rewire? Answer to these might give a clue on how it should be rewired.

perl82480

Occupation
maintenance electrician
Questions to consider. Who has occupancy rights to the garage? Is each bay access separately and isolated? What was the arrangement prior to need for rewire? Answer to these might give a clue on how it should be rewired.
Both tenants have access threw one large garage door no man door. Both bays are one large area not separated. Each tenant gets 1/2 the area. Power failed years ago when the duplex was owner occupied and was supplied by the owner's unit. Now it is an investment property and with 2 separate renters. He is trying to get power to the garage so they can have a door opener.

perl82480

Occupation
maintenance electrician
That's what I figured.
There's nothing requiring half of that garage is figured for each tenant.

I would pick the closest panel and take one feed there. The usage won't be high enough to impact anybody's electric bill
Thank you for the information. That is the direction I was headed with my thinking. I had never come across a situation like this before.
Thanks again.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
It sounds like there really should be a house panel.
Which tenant gets the house panel in their side?

I can imagine a couple of 800 sf units on a crawl space with no common hallways

Maybe upgrade the service to a 3-pack with an outdoor panel, just to power a garage door opener 😅

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Which tenant gets the house panel in their side?

I can imagine a couple of 800 sf units on a crawl space with no common hallways

Maybe upgrade the service to a 3-pack with an outdoor panel, just to power a garage door opener 😅
Don't forget enough power for the ElectroCar! :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That's what I figured.
There's nothing requiring half of that garage is figured for each tenant.

I would pick the closest panel and take one feed there. The usage won't be high enough to impact anybody's electric bill
If I am the tenant paying for the garage power I am going to object. There is no reason for one tenant to pay for power used by the other tenant.