Electrical Engineering Student

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb

Re: Electrical Engineering Student

Get as much education as you can whether it be in EE or EET but as said before get hands on experience. I have seen more than one EE who couldn't change a light bulb, because they had never gotten in the trenches. Remember on paper a bumble bee is not supposed to be able to fly.

lady sparks lover

Originally posted by ceb:
Get as much education as you can whether it be in EE or EET but as said before get hands on experience. I have seen more than one EE who couldn't change a light bulb, because they had never gotten in the trenches. Remember on paper a bumble bee is not supposed to be able to fly.
That is so true, I was the same way...until I demanded going into the field. Then, it was a completely different story.

As for the experience, I do a lot of on site wiring with my friend the "handy dandy" electrician, and I find the "schematic" designs to be about 35%, of what really get installed when all said and done. It's just a guideline.

Get in the field if you can, but remember it's nice to have a License (PE) when doing a design on paper. It's up to you... :)

P.S. I still say for building wiring try the AE program, because it gives you more a background. I would not trade this degree for the world... :D

tshephard

For the kid still in school...
Check and see if your state will accept an EET rather than a EE for PE qualifications. Around here we call 4 year EET's technologists and 2 year EET's technicians. The technologists may be hired for an engineering slot, but I do not hear any of them calling themselves Enginners in the legal sense.
Certain occupancies require engineer stamped plans, and that may even be someone else's work, reveiwed and stamped by a liscenced PE. Very good work just in case. I know a quad paralized ME who is still working.

Status
Not open for further replies.