Electrical Fire -a Disaster Averted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

charlie b said:
Nice job on the photos Pierre. It looks like the kind of photo quality one might get from something like a Canon PowerShot SX100IS. Didn't you recently say you were in the market for a new camera? ;)
Funny. That threw me for a second until I realized he used a 200 ISO setting with an aperture of 3.5 and multi-segmented metering. :smile:

mivey

Pierre C Belarge said:
Charley and Mivey
You guys are good, that is exactly the camera and the settings I used. Charlie it is my new camera, I am still trying to get used to it.
I was happy with the quality of the pictures.
Very lucky guesses. If we could have confirmed that this picture was taken somewhere near midnight during that phase of the moon, we would have known for sure.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i remember an article that i think was in EC&M a couple of years ago:

A new house caught fire and was blamed as electrical. The homeowner filed a lawsuit against the EC, and hired an EE to investigate the cause. The EE determined the cause was at an LB below the service entering the basement. The EE said there was a short at the LB and ignited a fire. The electrical contractor hired an a private fire investigator. That investigator found signs of fire accelerants, and testing confirmed that the floors had been coated in gasoline and lit. The homeowner went to jail.

Also, I've been on a couple of burn jobs, one electrical and one was a kitchen fire. In the electrical fire, I noticed the conductors were very brittle at the ignition point, and the heat damage gradually ended past the point of ignition. In the kitchen fire, the burning was central to one area, and the burn marks stopped suddenly. The conductors were not brittle either. Not sure if it always happens that way, but that was my observation.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

Personally if they blamed me and my reputation and found out later they were weong you can bet i see them in court and do my best to see him fired.I use to do many fire jobs and often doughted what they said.On one it was my 3rd trip ,second day of clean up and we found the real cause at shuttle hole in garage.Insulation guys were there few months before and covered recess cans.They blamed the cans but really was careless insulators.That fire marshal best get educated real fast before trial as i will make him look like the fool he is.Glad your name was cleared

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Pierre C Belarge said:
Charley and Mivey
You guys are good, that is exactly the camera and the settings I used.

It's frightening sometimes when you realize what hidden information (metadata) is in today's pictures and Microsoft Office documents.

Here's some of the picture's hidden details...

pic1.jpg

...and it IS a nice photo!

ceb58

How much time

How much time

Not to hi-jack this thread but, it did get me thinking. What would be a time limit on liability for something like this ( if it had been caused by the elect)? I know that when you involve insurance co. and lawyers you could never see the end. But when you have a install that is six years old, never had a problem I see it as hard to lay blame on the elect. due to things that may have happened over the years that you have no control over ( surges, overloading circ.) But like anything thing else you would probably haft to fight like h*** to save your butt

Karl H

grich said:
It's frightening sometimes when you realize what hidden information (metadata) is in today's pictures and Microsoft Office documents.

Here's some of the picture's hidden details...

pic1.jpg

...and it IS a nice photo!

Man, you guys are clever!

Status
Not open for further replies.