Electrical Inspectors Turning Down UL Listed Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps that does not give the inspector the authority... but I think this does:

It is the intent of this

Code that factory-installed internal wiring or the construction of equipment need not be inspected at the time of installation of the equipment, except to detect alterations or damage, if the equipment has been listed by a qualified electrical testing laboratory that is recognized as having the facilities described in the preceding paragraph and that requires suitability for installation in accordance with this Code.

110.2 Approval. The conductors and equipment required or permitted by this Code shall be acceptable only if approved.
Approved. Acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.

OK, so this would not be the first time the Code to self-contradict.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I've had the impression for a long time that if a piece of equipment was UL listed, and not modified in the field, that the AHJ had to accept it.

I would say that 99.9% of the time I do that, but after 35 years, if I haven't learned when something looks hokey, then I should find something else to do.

Just because it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, doesn't always mean it's a duck.:roll:

There are many companies that build one of a kind equipment and there is no way to UL list it and I don't look to hard at it. Half the time I don't even know what it does so how in the heck could I tell you how it should be built?

Status
Not open for further replies.