Electrician Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
No brainer. Hire them both and you get out there selling enough work to keep them both busy. Each can backstop the other as needed and learn the missing pieces as they go.

You're all set.

Believe it or not, I thought about doing that. I just don't have the work to keep them both busy... nor do I have the faith that I can keep them both busy.

Believe it or not, I thought about doing that. I just don't have the work to keep them both busy... nor do I have the faith that I can keep them both busy.

I'm confident that you can keep them busy.
Whether you eat hot dogs or steak while you ramp up is the Q.

On a serious note... only you can make that call because only you will have to live with what results from the decision.

If you *must* choose one over the other get the one who is better than you in some way. That might be the sales skill of the guy who is a licensed RW and can operate (semi) independently.

C3PO

You should always beware of the "smooth talkers". In my experince those are the ones who cause the most problems.

iaov

One thing I used to do, which I will probably regret posting here.........

I would say to the person that I was interviewing: "You have a little spot of something on your face" and touch a part of my face. If they wiped their face as they would if looking in a mirror, as in, I touch the left they wipe their right side. I lowered my points on hiring them.

I did hire some that didn't pass the wipe test due to other reasons, such as, bosses brother-in-law, good references and work experience, ETC.

A note I need to add, I was not hiring basic electricians. I was hiring maintenance personnel. They had to be electricians, mechanics, machinists, designers, all built in to one.

They had to have strong common sense, the ability to see things as they are instead of a reflection.

Now that I have written this. I am sure I will catch a bunch of slack, but the ones I hired that didn't pass the test had problems reading blueprints, schematics, and putting it all together. Their troubleshooting skills were also very bad.
I won't give you hell. I like the thinking behind the face test.

cadpoint

I won't give you hell. I like the thinking behind the face test.

Frankly, I thought the face test was Odd!

At the least, the applicant would have looked at their selves in the mirror.
If the test was to see a motor response to a command well, OK...
A trained response or a motor response... where are we going with that thought?

How's does this qualify anything to an interview...

Are you looking for trainable, responsive, people?
Or dictation responses?
Again, I don't get it !...

Hired a new guy today!

Hired a new guy today!

So, I never hired the other guys.

I thought I was going to do so, and so many things got in the way... Business coach meeting... GSA meeting... jobsite meetings... etc...

So, I never got around to hiring either of the guys.

I got an e-mail on Tuesday from an EC. (Another EC recommended us to him, and he had seen the ad in Craigslist too...) He is a 2 man shop, been in business 5 years and is folding the business. So, he is looking for a job.

He seems like a good guy. Did a personality profile on him. I can see that he is a great employee candidate, but is not the business owner type.

I talked to him about becoming an employee vs. an owner, and he seems all well and good about it.

So, I sent him off to his first job today... things went well.

He teaches at the local IEC, and is well kept with the code.

As someone said, the criteria of my ad required nearly a clone... I now have one!

And he wires start stop stations in his sleep! (and awake too...)

hockeyoligist2

Frankly, I thought the face test was Odd!

Again, I don't get it !...

Then you probably wouldn't pass the test! ;)

I'll try to explain my thoughts on it.....

I was hiring people that had to troubleshoot very old industrial controls. Most of the time there were no prints, stop/start buttons in many different locations, ETC. They had to think "outside the box" instead of focusing on one particular cause for the problem.

480sparky

Then you probably wouldn't pass the test! ;)

I'll try to explain my thoughts on it.....

I was hiring people that had to troubleshoot very old industrial controls. Most of the time there were no prints, stop/start buttons in many different locations, ETC. They had to think "outside the box" instead of focusing on one particular cause for the problem.

I don't get it either. A start/stop button doesn't try to tell you something by pointing to one side of its face. This makes about as much sense as asking "Do you put your left shoe on first, or your right shoe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.