Emon Demon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyho

I have a customer that wants me to install a meter after the meter socket of a 2 family house. I am looking at doing a Emon Demon. I don't know of any other units and have never installed one of these. I see from the wiring diagram online that they have split core current sensors. Have any of you ever installed one of these? I am unsure of how much time to allot for this. Does it come with a whip or do you make one yourself? From the diagram I see that you have a line side, would you supply this off of a 2 pole breaker in the panel that you are metering or would it freak the unit out seeing that it would be metering itself. Any info would be appreciated. I am sure that it would be self explanatory if I had one in hand but I don't so hence the dumb questions.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
bobbyho said:
Have any of you ever installed one of these? I am unsure of how much time to allot for this.
I have. I put one in in a store in a mall. The store felt it was being over-charged for electricity. I simply used an offset nipple and mounted the D-mon atop the panel.

There is a split-core CT that simply clamps over each line conductor and is held closed by a nylon ty-wrap, and a wire for each line for voltage sensing. You should use a 2p 15a breaker.

It's okay that the meter is measuring its own current, which is nil. It's even easier to install than it seems. The one I did took less than an hour.

You do need to make sure the one you install is matched to the supply voltage, phase, and panel ampacity.

bobbyho

PeterD, I will need 2 for this particular job.Thanks though. I asked the supply house guys, do the CTs come with it and are they split core or solid core and they didn't know. Is that something you order extra or do they come with it?

peter d

bobbyho said:
PeterD, I will need 2 for this particular job.Thanks though. I asked the supply house guys, do the CTs come with it and are they split core or solid core and they didn't know. Is that something you order extra or do they come with it?

CT's are included. They come split, and you "connect" them together with a large ty-rap that's included as well.

mdshunk

Certain models of the emom demon meters will let you program in your rates and demand stuff and it will keep a running tally of the bill along with the kilowatt-hours. Pretty neat.

charlietuna

the ct's come with the units and are matched to the rating of the meter-ie:100 amp-200amp etc..
no way are you going to install one of these in an hour--maybe three hours! the voltage source to the meter should be in line fuses to prevent power theft. the polarity of the ct's must be correct-"right hand rule" and applied to the corrisponding phase. all the wiring enters the bottom of the e-mon unit and it gets a little full. they are rated "anci-2c" which means they can legally be used for measuring power for billing. like any meter, the liability of it's correctness remains with the installer, so make sure it is blinking and functioning as instructed ! they are pricey-- about $600+ ...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
charlietuna said:
no way are you going to install one of these in an hour--maybe three hours!
"I don't know! I'm a fast cook, I guess!" ~ Mr. Tipton in My Cousin Vinny

the voltage source to the meter should be in line fuses to prevent power theft.
You're not stealing power if you grab it from a breaker. It doesn't have to be tapped ahead of the CT's.

the polarity of the ct's must be correct-"right hand rule" and applied to the corrisponding phase.
That's easy enough. The CT's are clearly marked for direction.

they are pricey-- about $600+ ...
They are also marked up, so pricey is not an issue. :wink:

satcom

bobbyho said:
I have a customer that wants me to install a meter after the meter socket of a 2 family house.

Is the house an approved 2 family? The job can turn into a real legal nightmare, if the owner tries to bill from a sub meter.

macmikeman

I also have an unused one thats been in my shop in the orig box for some years now. A customer had me do several sub meter installations over the years, and paid me for this one in front, but then went promptly out of business before the last meter arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.