Enclosed Circuit Breaker

Grouch1980

I need a little help. I'm looking for a 3 pole, 200 amp enclosed circuit breaker, service entrance rated. AIC rating as high as possible. It'll be placed on a 120/208 volt, 3 phase, 4 wire system. I'm finding it on Google, however nothing says 'service entrance rated'.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I need a little help. I'm looking for a 3 pole, 200 amp enclosed circuit breaker, service entrance rated. AIC rating as high as possible. It'll be placed on a 120/208 volt, 3 phase, 4 wire system. I'm finding it on Google, however nothing says 'service entrance rated'.
Service entrance rated is not a manufacturer term.

Look for UL SUSE which is Suitable for use as Service Equipment.
This rating will be on the enclosure not the breaker itself. It means there is a field installable/removable neutral to ground bonding link.

Grouch1980

This rating will be on the enclosure not the breaker itself.
Understood, makes sense. But I type in SUSE, but cannot find anything that indicates an enclosure with this rating. It's specifically for a 3 pole, 200 amp breaker. What I need is the dimensions of the enclosure. I'm assuming the dimensions would be the same as a non-SUSE enclosure. I doubt the bond increases the enclosure size.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Understood, makes sense. But I type in SUSE, but cannot find anything that indicates an enclosure with this rating. It's specifically for a 3 pole, 200 amp breaker. What I need is the dimensions of the enclosure. I'm assuming the dimensions would be the same as a non-SUSE enclosure. I doubt the bond increases the enclosure size.
It is not an enclosure type like a Type 1 for indoor or Type 3R for outdoor. This will simply be a feature of the device.

It should not be hard to find a 200A breaker enclosure with a SUSE label.
Choose your breaker then choose the enclosure, they are not normally sold as a single item at this size.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Be aware that because of the NEC requiring a barrier over exposed service conductor terminals this can have some impact on what once was SUSE and now is not in current catalogs if they haven't come up with a barrier to fit that piece of equipment.

I have run into some that have an added suffix in the cat number though you still can get a separate barrier kit and install in the original

Grouch1980

Be aware that because of the NEC requiring a barrier over exposed service conductor terminals this can have some impact on what once was SUSE and now is not in current catalogs if they haven't come up with a barrier to fit that piece of equipment.

I have run into some that have an added suffix in the cat number though you still can get a separate barrier kit and install in the original
I still follow the 2008 NEC. Which version of the NEC was that barrier introduced?

kwired

Electron manager
I still follow the 2008 NEC. Which version of the NEC was that barrier introduced?
2014 I believe, but possibly 2011.

Many load centers with main breakers come with them included anymore, which you likely have noticed even though you aren't necessarily required to use them.

They aren't so automatically included with enclosures that house a single breaker though and would need to be separately ordered if there is one that fits your model. If there isn't one that fits chances are it is not a SUSE rated enclosure to begin with though.