Entire panel of breakers tripping off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
gooling around i found a case where water condensation was accumulating inside boxes due to poor insulating methods in a humid area where AC is used heavily. this was causing circuits to trip off.

breakers in good working condition do not trip to the off position. Some DIY may think they are in the off but they should not.
If I am wrong then please some manufacture chime in.

We are just talking fantasy here.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
TRIP

TRIP

The only way to make a breaker trip with no wire is HEAT,the breakers do not know how many amps it has on it only knows HEAT.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I'd like to give some attention to the breaker with no wire.

If you set up a test in a lab and wanted to make a breaker go from on to OFF with no wire connected, how would you go about it? Or could you go about it?

If you set up a test in a lab and wanted to make a breaker go from on to TRIP with no wire connected, how would you go about it? Or could you go about it?

I agree.

When that is figured out I would like to know the answer. I suspect a batch of bad breakers. I doubt anything environmental would be the cause.

Not related, but an indication of how strange an electrical device can be and drive a troubleshooter crazy, I have a snap switch that turns on fine, but when it's turned off, the switch stays closed for about 15 seconds then opens. Even with no load, it would do it on my desk and verified with an ohm meter.

The easiest way to verify would be to do a complete breaker swap with a unit that is having no issues. A swap to new could still have the same problem. If the problem follows the breakers, there is your answer. If not, that is one thing you can rule out.

handy10

Here are some items the OP has reported as facts:

1. Four identical panels were installed in an apartment unit.
2. All of the breakers trip simultaneously (or nearly so) in one panel.
3. The OP has observed this happening.
4. After tripping the breakers are in the off position.
5. Tripping only occurs when children are present.
6. Some breakers trip that are not even connected to a load.

Here are some of the things other members have reported:

1. No one has ever seen or heard of such an event.
2. The Siemens breakers do not trip to the off position.
3. There is no way an unconnected breaker can trip.

Question: Is this an April fool?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
i think this is a wait-&-see. OP will resolve it and then we'll know. until then, next thread.

Out of balance

Out of balance

is the issue isolated to just this one panel, nobody else on the block connected to same utility transformer and phase having similar issue?

is it possible one AF tripped and somebody went out and mucked with too many breakers??

do any circuits use shared neutral?
It does sound like periodic surges from the power Co., or possibly, all sub panels have heavy loads on one leg creating an imbalance.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I'd like to give some attention to the breaker with no wire.

If you set up a test in a lab and wanted to make a breaker go from on to OFF with no wire connected, how would you go about it? Or could you go about it?

If you set up a test in a lab and wanted to make a breaker go from on to TRIP with no wire connected, how would you go about it? Or could you go about it?

That you can do with a very strong magnetic field. It will cause the magnetic pole piece to move inside the breaker that normally activates on strong short circuit currents. FPE did it on their breakers to get them to trip in an effort to pass UL tests. However, I don't know how you would go about the first on a regular breaker like a Siemens. About the only way would be to apply pressure to the handle.

In my honest opinion I think someone is throwing them into the off position. I would be able to get the trip position perhaps, but the off position has to be someone playing with them.

mgookin

That you can do with a very strong magnetic field. It will cause the magnetic pole piece to move inside the breaker that normally activates on strong short circuit currents. FPE did it on their breakers to get them to trip in an effort to pass UL tests. However, I don't know how you would go about the first on a regular breaker like a Siemens. About the only way would be to apply pressure to the handle.

In my honest opinion I think someone is throwing them into the off position. I would be able to get the trip position perhaps, but the off position has to be someone playing with them.

Is there such thing as a datalogging magnetometer?

iwire

Staff member
I think there is a serious problem with the relative motion of conductors and fluxes which is interfering with the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive diractance.

Status
Not open for further replies.