Excel & VFD

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My daughter is getting into some advanced, for me, Microsoft products. IDR what it's called. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Her husband works at a location that mixes cattle feed using some Timers and Counters that then control motors via VFDs. Each different batch requires manual setting of the T&C. They use a google Chrome spreadsheet that gives then the settings. for each item. Time, Counts and Speed.

She says she can provide the information to the VFD via an Excel spreadsheet eliminating those manual settings.

My question, what does she use to communicate with those drives? They happen to be a Lenz AC Techs.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Most VFDs have a way to access their internal registers Modbus RTU protocol. All you need is the Modbus address map of the VFD (they all have that available if they allow Modbus), then something in your PC that can pull the values out of the spreadsheet cells and send them to the registers in the VFD. Many of the drive mfrs will have some sort of free program to do that for you, I’m sure Lenze does.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Interesting, sounds like you are seeking to modify the logic pre-programned values - cells of the vfd. Is this correct?

I have a lot of knowledge in the hardware side but wish I could learn more on software programming side

Occupation
EC - retired
Interesting, sounds like you are seeking to modify the logic pre-programned values - cells of the vfd. Is this correct?

I have a lot of knowledge in the hardware side but wish I could learn more on software programming side
Yes, entry in the spreadsheet would immediately change VFD response. The spreadsheet is well done and elaborate enough that transferring the operation setpoints automatically would speed things up.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Yes, entry in the spreadsheet would immediately change VFD response. The spreadsheet is well done and elaborate enough that transferring the operation setpoints automatically would speed things up.
Are you changing frequency to change amperes?

Occupation
EC - retired
Are you changing frequency to change amperes?
Right now, until the owners decide to make equipment upgrades, nothing. They need to add communication to each VFD, plus cables, etc.
They have various products used for different feed rations. They change the speed of the drive to add different amounts and/or count the number of revolutions to determine the CuFt of a product.

Depending on when trucks arrive and what blend they are after, the timers, counters, Hz, could be changed multiple times a day. I think they have like 34 different rations.