Exterior receptacle is it legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I am very open. Please show me where the code allows you to 'box in' an outlet?
Boxed in? Kind of too vague of a description of what happened. I think we would both agree there would be a problem with "boxing it in" in a manner that completely conceals it. They definitely did not do that, they did leave access that is approximately the same size as the face of outlet, where in the code is that a violation?

So if a plumber adds a pipe in front of your panel it is ok because it was compliant when installed? Not a code violation unless it is at the time of construction?
Not really the same thing.

We both agree that plumbing pipe in front of the panel is a violation (if it is within the required clear space), who is at fault or required to make a change is not really the topic of this discussion either.

Our receptacle in question has not been mutually agreed upon if there even is a violation.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What do you mean that what I listed is not "a real violation"?
Exactly what I said.

If you see no problem in the OP picture then discussing this with you is futile.
You are probably right in this case

Your dumpster example makes no sense.
It's as absurd as the article sections you are trying to use for your reason to say something is wrong with the receptacle

May I suggest some of you watch Mike Holt and the panel discuss Article 90 in his 2011 Edition. He describes how to deal with the responses that I have received here.
Sure you can but it doesn't change that fact that there is no violation in the topic at hand.

Sorry Mike, but it seems as though the bottom line is you just don't like it.

Roger

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I would just slap the guy who approved the siding installation, and that would be the end of it

The guy who approved the (sheetmetal) or siding installation was probably the owner and all he wanted was an upgrade of his existing wall covering.
Looks like they did a very professional job to me and even took the time to block out around the receptacle outlets.

kwired

Electron manager
The guy who approved the (sheetmetal) or siding installation was probably the owner and all he wanted was an upgrade of his existing wall covering.
Looks like they did a very professional job to me and even took the time to block out around the receptacle outlets.

They could have said "we never use that, just go over it"

jap

Occupation
Electrician
if the owner or the siding guys had a question about the receptacles being recessed i'm sure the topic would have come up somehow if it was a concern.
as it is now, nothing is wrong other than it being somewhat difficult to work on should one of us get the call and if we do I'm sure we can figure it out.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
They could have said "we never use that, just go over it"

No can't just say we don't use it.

That is exactly my point. Thanks Kwired.

If:

EDIT: wrong code section cited below

372.13 Discontinued Outlets. When an outlet is abandoned,
discontinued, or removed, the sections of circuit
conductors supplying the outlet shall be removed from the
raceway. No splices or reinsulated conductors, such as
would be the case of abandoned outlets on loop wiring,
shall be allowed in raceways.

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
No can't just say we don't use it.

If:

If your not there to witness it getting covered up how are you going to know it was there to begin with?
There's probably several outlets covered up by sheetrock in the United States that the inspectors arent aware of.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
A lot of receptacles arent abandoned,discontinued or removed, they're just covered up by accident, what do you do about those?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
OH the old "can't see it from my house" rational.

head-in-sand.jpg

When inspecting 'you' don't care what happens in Hooterville. You look at what is in front of you.

If it is different than the code you can fail it or make an exception. You can just ignore the code.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

View attachment 9575

When inspecting 'you' don't care what happens in Hooterville. You look at what is in front of you.

If it is different than the code you can fail it or make an exception. You can just ignore the code.

Last I checked siding guys dont have to have an electrical liscense.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

View attachment 9575

and if whats in front of you is a wall of sheetiron with no openings in it, your not going to know if theres a receptacle behind it that the Ironworkers may have covered up by accident. Point is the siding guys did their job by blocking out around the receptacle outlet and they are not liscensed electricians. The comment we made about them actually blocking out for the receptacle was made simply because they sometimes dont tend to care wether they cover something up or not. in this instance they did a good job, the outlet was already there so who are you going to apply your code violation to? the siding guys?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If:

Correct, 372 has nothing to do with this conversation.

Roger

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Last I checked siding guys dont have to have an electrical liscense.

The OP question was is this legal? I say no.

As to the siding guys would it be ok if they sided over an egress window because they have no GC?

I maybe be wrong but aren't all 'trades' responsible for verifying that their installation meets all codes?

What if you drilled your holes outside of here:

hole.JPG

No problem electric codes says 1 1/4 and I'm OK.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
in this instance they did a good job, the outlet was already there so who are you going to apply your code violation to? the siding guys?
Well, if there were a violation it would be to the siding guys.

If I were the homeowner and you were going to cost me money to have this fixed I would simply tell you to go pound sand.

If it went any further I would then challenge to city as to why they allowed (licensed) a siding company that has no regards to damagng my home to do business and why the electrical inspector didn't catch this problem before the work took place.

Mike, tell us exactly how big you would want the opening to be to consider it in compliance.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.